Simple GPS installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Simple GPS installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:15 am:

I'm sure some one has done this before but I thought I would pass this along as a quick and inexpensive way to put GPS in your T for tours. Most of already have a gps so the thing you have to do is figure out how to supply 12V DC to the unit in a car that usually is set up for 6V. I went the auxiliary battery route. For $12 at Harbor Freight, I picked up two 6V lantern batteries and a female cigarette lighter adapter. As you can see in the pictures below, I simply taped the two batteries together and wired them in series. I ran the cable through the existing hole in the seat riser and then hooked it up to the batteries. I did use some red heat shrink to mark the positive lead after removing the red clip. I used this yesterday on a short trip with the Lynchburg Region AACA and it worked great. I'll probably make a better battery holder and re route the cable but if you're on tour and need something like this quick, you can't beat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:25 am:

GPS units will operate on 6 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:08 am:

GPS units will operate on 6 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:37 am:

I don't need GPS for my tours as Google Maps on my smartphone is absolutely excellent. Shows things even better than my now otherwise worthless Garmin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 09:55 am:

That's a pretty good idea, Chester. I've been wanting to rig something like this in my T so I can charge my cell phone, iPod, or other electrical devices while on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I have a small wheel chair type sealed 12 volt battery in the tool box with wires routed to cigarette plugs for GPS and wired to my LED stop and tail lights. Also goes to rear LED strobes with a separate switch for tailgaters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 11:10 am:

I like to have my GPS for my speedometer and odometer. I generally don't care about the maps. Looking at a map on a the small screen is like looking through a keyhole at a map. You can never actually get your bearings. I like big maps for that.

Picked up a cheap used unit on Craigs list. Then mounted a wood panel over the windshield, where the GPS is positioned. Makes it easy to look at while driving. To power the unit I have a 12 volt battery on the running board. Had the battery there before the GPS, it runs a small inverter, which is for cameras, laptops, etal. Then when I added the GPS the 12 volt battery would run out of juice while on a week or two tour (without charging). So I added a John Regan magneto charger for the 12 volt battery, now I can go an entire touring season without having to charge the 12 volt battery. The inverter is mounted between the front seats, and the magneto charger is under the front seat. I have a 1926 TuDor.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

As Michael Thomas stated earlier, Garmin units will operate fine.
As long as your 6v battery and charging system is up to snuff- no problem. Turn the unit off at extended stops. Closely look at the car charger plug. The output is 4.75-5.25v, which means the Garmin requires much less to operate than 12 volts.

My cars are now running from my 6v battery.

Stay clear of the magneto system or wiring. My experience is that there will be some interference and the Garmin thinks you may be connected to a computer for editing purposes.

Garmin Car Charger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

You can down load GPS and Speedo app on your phone and use it in any vehicle. Just my thought. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

GPS speedo work great gives you MPH wish it had odometer but doesn't
Who needs a map my little lady the navigator but

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Mottashed on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 01:14 am:

Anything that charges via USB needs 5v. I have std 12v sockets on the dash of one 6v T and they're just fed 6v from the battery. Before using any 12v car chargers in those sockets I used a voltmeter to verify I was getting 5v output. My concern was the cheapie regulator in the charger might not handle such a low input voltage but so far they all have. Seems they're all low dropout. I charge phones and gps with them.

... Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Does the GPS on a cell phone require cell service to work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

If you don't need the map information, my Garmin eTrex, model Vista, will show speed as well as distance traveled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Mottashed on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Tom, the answer is both yes and no. The phone's gps doesn't need data service to determine your longitude and latitude, or to calculate how fast you're moving. But to show you where you are on a map it needs the map! Google Maps is one example. That requires that you've either preloaded maps for the area, say while at home on wifi earlier, or that your phone has data service so it can retrieve the maps via internet as you need them. The latter is the normal use of a phone gps.

I don't find the maps useful while driving as we usually have written instructions. However when my spidey senses tell me we may be off course I pull over and use my phone gps. You can tell pretty quickly if you've missed a turn or the instructions have an error. In a perfect world the navigator could operate the phone gps - but that's not my world.

I do find phone gps useful for odometer between turns if I need that. I use a free speedometer app for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:19 am:

You can download maps to your smartphone so you don't need a data connection.
'HERE maps' are excellent. We used them to navigate around Australia and Tasmania.
You just download the map files for your country or continent. I'm not sure they offer N Korea though.
But you really need a power supply - usually USB which is 5v - if it's going to be 'on' for most of the time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration