Wheel Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheel Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Hi Folks,
Can you help me identify the difference between my wheels? Three are the same with a smooth flat area above the rim bolts and the one odd one has a raised slot. Just trying to figure out why and which is correct for my Mode T
Thanks all
WheelsWheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

The felloe with the raised slots is a Kelsey felloe, originally designed to work with a Kelsey rim and separate lugs:

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Eaton on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

The one on the left is a Kelsey style and would have had removable lugs and flat faced nuts One on the right is Ford style with lugs on rims and nuts with chamfered face to fit into lug There were many brands but I use those as examples

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Am I okay leaving it this way aside from aesthetics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Is the rim fully supported by the felloe all the way around on both the inside and outside? If so, then yes, you can run it.

If the rim is only supported by the four lug bolts and not the felloe, then all the load will be on the four lug bolts and the rim will not stay round. Not a good situation.

I'm sure that others will weigh in with their opinions. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on May 15, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Mark,
I'm not sure as I'm still new to these Model T's. I took a picture from the inside if that helps.
Thank again

Inside WheelsWheel 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Looks pretty good from here. It appears that the lugs on your rim sit outside a raised ring and do not have a "foot" that extends inwards towards the center of the rim. If true, then your rim should be ok on the Kelsey felloe.

hayes

hayes

If the lugs on your rim have a "foot" that extends inwards towards the center of the rim, then you have a Hayes rim and the lug feet will keep the rim from seating on the felloe except at the "feet".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration