Drive shaft casing paint/primer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drive shaft casing paint/primer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:04 am:

Cleaning parts to put the '15 touring rear back together and found this copper color under the black. I assume its a primer????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Perhaps brazing? Crack repair? The picture is too small for any detail. Scratch it with a file and see if it shines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Found the same thins on the rear radius rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:44 am:

It's not uncommon to find brazed areas on the Model T. Both as repairs and from the factory. The crankcase pan alone has about pound of brazing when it leaves the factory. It's used to seal the rivet holes and oil drain cup.

If you run a file over it and it shines, it brass (brazing).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Brazing. The Model T is full of it from the production process, especially the crank case :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Naked 1915 pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:09 am:

My 26 pan i am cleaning up has alot of brazing on it also. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:38 am:

If you look at an old book, I think it was called Ford Methods and Ford Shops?? There is a part that shows these parts being brazed. Seems they are sealing the rivets holes. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

Stev Jelf.
That naked pan might have been on your 15 but it's not correct, it's a later one, wide noise and lipped edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Frank, you're right. I should have paid attention. That one came off a 1922 engine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration