Removing the emergency brake lever on a 1926 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Removing the emergency brake lever on a 1926 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Hi, i have a question about removing the emergency brake lever on my 1926 Roadster. I tried to punch the pin out, but no luck. Is there a trick to get the pin out from the lever, because the brake camshaft is worned out and have a lot of play. I would like to put new Brake Camshaft Bushings in the rear axle and new Brake Camshafts. I have seen, there is no spare Part on Langs and Snyders for the Emergency Brake Lever and pin for a 1926 Model T, therefore i do not wont to punch to hard on the pin or drill the pin out.

emergency brake lever

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I normally grind off the head and the tail, then drive the rivet out. It may be swelled tight in the hole so much that you have to drill it thru. That has happened to me, no big deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:27 am:

If you cannot drive it out after grinding off the head, drill a hole smaller than the pin through the center of the pin, and then collapse the outside edges of the pin toward the center. Then try using a punch just slightly smaller than the pin and it should collapse toward the center and drive right out.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Hi Markus,

You are correct that the lever is not reproduced. The pins are available form Lang's:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2563B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:57 am:

One thing that helps, is you need to put something solid below it that has a hole big enough for the pin to go through. A small anvil might work. It really helps to have someone to help you support the housing while doing this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Make sure both ends of the pin are filed or ground all the way down to the lever. This is very important otherwise the pin will not move when you hit it.

All the previous suggestions also apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 03:00 am:

I agree with most all of the previous suggestions, but don't drill all the way through the pin. Drill it out some, but leave a bit of the pin in the bottom of the hole. This gives you something for the punch (use a pin punch) to drive against without swelling the pin in the bore. Some heat may help if there is any rust. Heat the pin in the hole, then, let it cool so it will shrink. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:43 am:

David has it down pat. If your drill hole is slightly off centre, all the better. Just up the size of the drill until it cuts down one side of the rivet/pin. Then it will come out easily.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration