Filling Gas Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Filling Gas Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Perkins on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Looking for suggestions on battery or siphon systems to fill the cowl gas tank on my '26 Runabout. Holding the gas can is getting difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:32 am:

They make things called gas pumps.
They can be found at places called service stations - that are not really service stations anymore.
You put a plastic card in the slot, press a few buttons and gasoline comes out of a hose.
It is amazing! :-)

OK Try a Multi-Use transfer pump from Harbor Freight - It is only about $7.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

I wouldn't use that multi-Use pump the hoses tend to disconnect without warning not a good thing when messing with flammable liquids. but if you can set the fuel container on something stable higher than the cowl (I have a shelf built for that purpose) this one works and the hoses cannot disconnect :-)
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=siphon+pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Mark,

How about something like this? Most I have seen are gravity fed and meant to fill things on the ground. But they are available with hand operated rotary pumps.

http://www.amazon.com/ARKSEN-Gallon-Portable-Transfer-Storage/dp/B00BM87YFI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Regarding a battery operated pump: Make darn sure the connections are away from the fuel. One spark & well you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

A gas can is almost as hard to use on a 26-27 as a gas pump in California. In California we have a vacuum device to take the gas fumes from the tank so it doesn't cause air pollution. It is quite difficult to fill a Model T because you have to hold back the vacuum device while you hold the nozzle above the tank. On a modern car you just push the nozzle into the filler neck until the vacuum device is against the filler and it you can pump the gas. With a T, the nozzle will go right into the gas and the automatic shut off operates. So it takes two hands. One to hold the nozzle and the other to push back the vacuum device. This is not so hard with the under seat gas tank, but with the 26-27 or with a Model A, you have to reach up high. If you climb on the fender you might scratch the paint or bend the fender. Last week we were in Arizona and they don't have the vacuum device. Sure was easy to fill the tank.

Anyway, I would recommend that you open the hood and step on the hood sill with one foot and on the running board with the other foot. Maybe a taller person wouldn't have as much trouble and could easily do it from the ground.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Filling with gas jug is fairly easy if your jug isn't full up. These older, pre-lawsuit Blitz jugs without the latest EPA/ flame arrestor spout are nice, two handles make for easy holding with 2 hands.

Normally my 8" wide funnel is in the gas filler hole, that keeps spills away.

Just showing the handles, no pouring. Funnel is used for that. Filled to just 3-4 gal is easy to hold this 5gal jug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:44 am:

I use a McCuff nozzle donut it pushes back the nozzle vapor return so you don't have to hold it back with your fingers, it stabilizes the nozzle so it's easier to hold and pump, seals the ring, and it prevents drips. It has its own carrying case. I have them in all the Ts and all the motorcycles.

http://www.mccuff.com/

Mccuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 06:50 am:

If the larger gas can is too difficult to hold try using the smaller cans that are made for filling string trimmers and chainsaws. It may take several cans but they are lighter and easy to handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:07 am:

Sportsmans Guide in Minnesota sell new WWII style gas cans. They also sell a real nozzle for them. They're available in two sizes. The smaller one is very easy to use on a '26

Rural King sells a gas can nozzle replacement kit. They caution you not to use it as a replacement for modern gas can nozzles and only use it on your older damaged gas cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:06 am:

I have come to the age and health where 5 gallon cans are no longer a option for me. I bought one of the 30 gallon wheeled units with a manual crank pump as pictured in a post above and love how it works. Should have bought one years ago. Keep checking Amazon and Northern Tool until someone has them on sale and save 35-40 dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:28 am:

These are available in Canada. I suspect something similar is available in the US?

Flo N' Go Home Filling Station, 25L

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/flo-n-go-home-filling-station-25l-0283019p.htm l?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_co ntent=Default

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Neat products! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Dan B.,
So, how do you fill that thing in the first place?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:33 am:

I second what Norm Kling posted. I'm tall and it is still a pain. Same problem putting gas in our 1910 2 cylinder REO.
Enjoyed doing the benefit car show at the hospital last week with Norm. If you ever think you have health problems.....doing this really makes you count your blessings.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration