OT - Model A in accident - reported as '30 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Model A in accident - reported as '30 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Sent to me this morning. I was not given any other details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

I hope the driver recovers quickly!! It brings a tear to the eye to see what the jaws of life did to that model A!! I'll bet Don Booth could fix it.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

These days for the most part the average person and in this case a reporter think that an old looking antique car is a Model T. They really don't know the difference. If it was a Dodge, Chevrolet or some type of brand no later than the early 30's it would have been called a 'Model T'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

I hate seeing any brand old car ruined like that! Hope the driver recovers quickly.. It seems most people like the (thought) of old cars like model A s and T s but know nothing about them. Nor can they differentiate between the two....Just my thought!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

Yes, it looks restorable--notice rear fender damage, maybe he was T-boned?
The sad thing (since the driver is apparently doing well) is that the rescue folks could have just cut through the soft top part and extracted him as easily with much less damage to the car! There really was no need to saw the whole roof off.
But I wasn't there so, what do I know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

I think to some point the guys just like playing with the new toys on the truck.They figure insurance will cover it and the guy in the car is not in a position to do anything but wonder how bad his car will be messed up.
Looks to be fiberglass fender part on the road in front of it.

Along the same lines, to the older folks, anything with tracks is a Caterpillar, anything that keeps food cold is a Kelvinator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Well what do firemen know about the roof being soft. Their probably all under 30 years old + the door might have been jambed. Get the people out is #1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Just on the Monroe News Facebook page,

so I had to copy and paste:

saw this car at Kroger less than an you before the accident. I saw the aftermath of the wreck. They were pulling onto a flat bed. 😢 I pray the driver is ok.
Like Reply 3 hrs

Johnnie Jenkins My Dad is fine, just pissed they cut his roof off

Like Reply 3 2 hrs

Bobby Flaherty Jr. That's to bad I have seen that car at shows. It can be saved Now its time chop the top and hot rod it
Like Reply 21 mins

Seems like the owner's son posted on the above, and stated the Dad is mad the roof got cutoff.

But I guess the emergency responders figured cutting the few steel post and ripping the metal was faster than sawing thru the wood spars of the roof and cutting the fabric away. :-)

Glad the driver was OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Wonder if these guys chop holes in the house roof before trying the doors? Anybody this stupid should not be dealing with life & death situations!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS ARE CONCERNED FOR THE WELFARE OF PEOPLE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT! MANY OF THESE MEN AND WOMEN GIVE FREELY OF THEIR PERSONAL TIME TO TRAIN AND SAVE LIVES! TO SIT AT A DESK AND BITCH ABOUT A PIECE OF MACHINERY THAT UNLIKE A HUMAN LIFE CAN BE REPLACED IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. WHEN RESPONDING AT A SCENE I WANT THEM TO BE CONCERNED FOR PEOPLE NOT PROPERTY. THEY DID THE RIGHT THING AND THAT WAS TO AID THOSE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Keeping in mind that fuel leaked in the area of the battery, my anger is not towards the fire department but towards the person who caused the accident. It doesn't look like the Model A hit anyone rather he was hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Dennis,
No one is faulting them for caring for the person, but since he was conscious, and mostly trapped by being on his side, they could have listened to him and just cut through the center of the roof instead of demolishing the entire top--HOWEVER, these guys are trained to get people out--the vehicle (usually a modern POS car) is immaterial to them, unlike us who also see it as an irreplaceable piece of history. I'm sure if one of the responders had been a model A person, he would have said, "Wait a minute guys, it will be quicker to just cut through this fabric top (they already used their saws-all, look at the back of the top). But none of us were there. Glad the guy is OK. And Dennis, note that HE (the victim) is also Pissed at the way they got him out. I will bet he was saying NO! NO! STOP! and no one listened to him.
But, guys we ARE getting our blood pressure up over something that we weren't there and it's done. I hope after the owner recovers he can re-restore his car, it does look still saveable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

In 1992 or so I was a level 3 certified firefighter and now serve on the board of directors of that volunteer department to help run the business end of it.There is only 2 levels nowadays. When I typed what I did above, it is because I know that is the attitude of most of the younger generation.Yes I am glad they are there.And yes they want to save lives and put themselves in danger to do it. Saving property is second on the list. But the general attitude is insurance replaces everything no problem.

It is obvious there was no immediate danger of fire so a couple extra minutes could a been spent to figure a better way.

Not meaning to go on a rant,just that I was not typing out of my rear when I said that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

The car can be repaired. I have fixed worse myself (a model A coupe, complete rollover). I am very glad that the occupants were saved.
As to to proper training and their priorities? I prefer to mostly stay out of it here, as I have had to fight on both sides of that fence too many times before.

Several years ago, after a sizable earthquake. I was working at a badly damaged building. A fellow was whining about having been trapped in a room for hours because the building had shifted and jammed the door shut (from the side he couldn't shoulder the door open). Because the wall was already badly damaged and had to be rebuilt, I simply turned around, and mule-kicked through the two layers of sheet-rock with my foot in about ten seconds (interior wall, not even any insulation). He looked at me dumbfounded and said "Well, I guess I could have done that?"
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Normally, I wouldn't get involved in this, but.....

Having been a collector and restorer all my life and retired from 33 + years of Law-Enforcement-which included responding and investigating many crashes, from simple collisions to multiple fatalities:

#1): Conscious does not mean capable of lucid thought.
#2): Removing a crash victim without inflicting additional damage is harder than you think.

Bottom line--- they did the right thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Hope driver covers quickly and fully
The model A fordor is simular to a T in that is has lots of wood framework with a medal skin
I agree with Les Gitts whatever it take to get those hurt safe and to medical attention

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Makes me wonder if i should keep the gas below 1/2 of the 10 gallon tank in the wife's 29 town sedan? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Just wondering if there are any updates on this accident? Condition of the driver, cause of accident, pictures of the car damage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:09 am:

In the disaster restoration business for years I seen many times where a small change in tactics would have cost much less to repair BUT------like Les says a 30K vintage car is a small price for a 300K hospital bill a friend recently had and is doing well. He would not have lived without life flight he thought he did not need.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration