Model T Salad Rear end higher than front end. How normal? How Abnormal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Salad Rear end higher than front end. How normal? How Abnormal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Franken T using 1915 frame with 26/27 engine and rear end. Using standard mounting hardware, with the wheels and tires on, my rear frame from the top of the side frame to the ground is 3" higher than the front frame to the ground measurement.
Don't know what I can do about it, anyway, but how "normal" is a 3" drop from rear to front?

I'm putting a open light express body on this thing for a WWI light patrol vehicles, so a slightly higher rear for the bed might not be so bad.

Will the engine in the frame make the front even more lower?

I'm approx 29" tall in the rear and 26" in the front using wire wheels and tires. Same size front and back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

The rear spring sits higher and is beefier to even out the ride with passengers in the car. Normal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

You are probably lucky. I had to re-arch my rear springs because the 1912 depot hack body with people in it caused it to bottom out if I hit a significant bump. The car is pretty original and I guess over time the springs sagged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Well, things are starting to look up on this project . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

1920 diagram of dimensions. Engine in frame, complete chassis, wood wheels, 30" dia. But your 21" wire wheels with tires will have approx. the same 30" dia.

So top of rear frame sits 26" off the ground, and top of front frame sits 25" off the ground.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration