Smokey oil change

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Smokey oil change
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

My 21 TT has not had the engine rebuilt that I know of. It has always been a little smokey but after changing the oil tonight, it is a LOT smokey.

I had 10W-30 in it and used STP 10W-30 for the oil change. Any ideas or thoughts?
Should I be using "NON-detergernt" oil.

thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Non-detergent or detergent oil will not change the smoke. New rings and a valve job might! :-) Might try 10-40. Could be adding the STP (might be too slippery for your bands and clutch anyway) is leading (just guessing) to the extra smoke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Tom, like you I like the benefit of multi grade oils. But for an engine design that has lasted one hundred years plus, I tend to stick to what it likes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Thanks Mark and Tyrone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

oops, I wonder if the liter side of your multi oil is not being wiped off the cylinder walls. Ring wear is not tight enough due to age/wear. Or the walls have scratches filling with oil, letting the oil to by pass rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 16, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

What makes it worse for a model T if still all original, is that they have no oil rings, detergent oil would be like having a dose of salts!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:06 am:

Tom, I assume from your post you added STP oil treatment TO you current oil? If that's correct, you oil might be so thick the oil rings can't scrape it off. Don't know if this is totally relevant or not, but I had a generator that I thought would run better on 10W-40 (detergent) oil than the 5W-30 (detergent)oil it was normally running when I bought it. Bad move! That generator smoked and used oil like crazy. Switched back to 5W-30 and all is well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:27 am:

NO NO It was STP brand oil. Nothing extra added but they advertise cleaning agents or something in the oil. I bought it because it was on sale not reading the label first.

A dose of salts is good for us once in a while. Could I just smoke out the crud or NO not really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Just go back to the stuff you were using. Never argue with what works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:42 am:

What Kevin said above. If you really noticed a difference in the smoking the only new factor is obviously the oil. Wether it's the additives or it thins out more I don't know but go back to what you were using previously and check again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Thanks all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I suspect it is overfilled. Open the top petcock. Let it run out until it stops. Close the petcock. Drive the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I was thinking the same thing that Royce said.

Once I over filled the oil in my T.
I was in a hurry and didn't give the oil enough time to flow back to the transmission.
It smoked a lot and ran poorly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration