Model T Salad Front Axle to Spring Mounts. Something wrong?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T Salad Front Axle to Spring Mounts. Something wrong?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

OK, with all your help, I got my rear end (well, actually my car's rear end) done and I took some overall frame measurements. I'm 20" tall in the rear and the front is 26" from the top of the frame rail to the ground. The 3" may or may not be an issue as I'm mounting a light express open body on it with no rear seats. Once I put the engine in, the swing may be greater than 3".

Here are some photos of my current speedster front leaf spring to axle mounting set up. Only the 4 bolts in the shackle type mount, but my leaf spring purchase is slanted lower than the axle mount and photos I'm shown show the leaf spring being level or slightly higher than the axle mount.

If I dismount this axle and remount it with the leaf spring purchase being at or above the axle mount, that should help my height difference. But will the first god bump just knock everything down to it's current position?
If I put a bottle jack in between the leaf spring and the axle, can I pressure the leaf spring and axle further apart and pop this set up into the correct positions?
Will it stay that way?

This is a 1915 frame and the engine and rear end are 26/27. I do not know what the front axle is.

What'cha think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

I think the front axle is '26-7 also. Notice how the axle is curved and the spindles are higher than the earlier ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Can you post a picture from the rear showing the spring mounting at the axle and at the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

R.V.is right, the front spindles are 'dropped' '26-'27 style and they will let the front drop 1" or so from the '25 and earlier.

But...you really need the engine weight and body weight to settle the frame on the suspension, with the wheels and tires too, that will allow all to settle, the spring bend down to what will be the 'real' height.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

One of my concerns is the set up now, the leaf spring purchase is about 1/2" from the top of the axle. In my mind, one good bump and it's bottoming out on the spring.

Here's a requested photo from the rear of the mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

You can't flip the shackles over. It just won't work. The last picture you show has the spring and shackles positioned correctly. They won't bottom out on the axle that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

OK, we'll that saves me some work. Would changing the front spindles give me an extra inch or two on the front end height?

Or should I just leave this set up alone.

It's going to be Model T salad anyway. WWI light patrol vehicle with open light express body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Robert, You can change it or leave it. It is just a choice of looks (your decision). It will not matter as to driving, to go ahead and use the 26-27 one inch lowered front spindles. If you want it to sit higher in the front then change to the 25 and before style of spindles. Your front spring shackles look OK to me. .... Have fun and be safe .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

OK, I'll leave it as is.

If I wanted more work, I'd go in the next room and ask what's her name. She'll find something for me to do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration