Carb Not Getting Gas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb Not Getting Gas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Recently purchased a 1916 Model T Touring that had been in storage for around 30 years. The previous owner had died but had apparently drained the tank as there was about 1/8 inch of gas left in the tank. We wanted to start the car but found the carb to not be getting any gas. I pulled the fuel line and found it to have old gas in it so I blew it out with the air compressor.

I then drained the sediment bowl of the old gas in it and then turned the gas lever on to see if any gas would come out and none would. So I poked a wire up both holes to find any blockages and there were none as the wire only hit metal.

I assume the next step is to remove the sediment bowl and find what ever is blocking the top of it.

Any predictions or advice? This is my first T so I will be needing some help.

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

oops double posted it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

My sediment bowl had been plugged up, so somebody poked a hole in the filter screen. That got the gas flowing, but not a good repair. I removed the bowl and replaced the screen. You may find yours is just clogged with junk, and just needs a cleaning, but you should definitely remove it..

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in Katy Texas on Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Hi Richard, and welcome! You're on a great adventure... There a good article you should go through if you haven't found it already.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/269084.html

Sounds like you definitely still have a blockage. Pretty common for a car that has been standing a long while.

That article will help, but its likely that besides the sediment bowl, you need to check the carb, valves and a few other items as well.

Perhaps try to find a club near to you or if you need help, PM me and I'll try to assist.

Hope this helps,
Justin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration