How do you hold the manifolds in place until you install the clamps?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you hold the manifolds in place until you install the clamps?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:23 am:

Here's one way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Here is another.
Toon
0165R
0166R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:32 am:

If you use the 1 piece (lower picture) or 2 piece (upper picture) gland and ring type manifold gaskets, the intake and exhaust manifolds joined by the ring, easily stay in place while you hold them with one hand and secure them with the 4 clamps.

These type gaskets are much better than the flat asbestos gaskets because the rings form a tunnel through which the hot gases pass thereby protecting the block and manifold from the passage of hot gases, while decreasing the chances of a leak. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:40 am:

Another method is to install the front and rear clamps vertically and snug up the nuts, then install the intake manifold and the inner clamps and tighten them. Loosen/turn and retighten the outer and you're good to go - I've used that method several times when testing different intake manifolds without any exhaust sealing problems :-)

manifold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:03 am:

I've never used it yet, but I've seen Roger's method mentioned many times. Looks simple to me. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:29 am:

I made 2 (two) half clamps out of wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:13 am:

In have cut one end off two badly eroded clamps and these are installed on the studs as usual, the good end holding the manifold, the missing end allowing the intake to be fitted and held on with the other two whole clamps. It is a poor man's version of Toon's keepers.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Another way that I use is a large c clamp going over the top to the other side of the motor. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:48 am:

I'm with Jim Patrick, I like the one piece glands, makes it very easy to put the manifolds on using your good ol' two hands with nothing else special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:55 am:

I use one of my kids or a grandkid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:59 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/493766.html?1417569481

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Doty New Salisbury, IN on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:01 am:

How about one of these.
clamp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:16 am:

I use Allans method. There are plenty of old manifold clamps around. The late ones work a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:41 am:

That's the tool I have & use, Kim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:46 am:

I been doing it the way that Roger K. shows since I first started working on T's back in the 60's.

It just seemed that it would work so I started doing it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:10 am:

I use a modification of Roger's method: I have found that it's easier to get the intake on if I install the center two clamps AFTER it's in position ;<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:56 am:

It's a picture I loaned from another thread, not mine RV :-) Of course I put the intake on first, then the center two clamps. The main point with my posting was to say it's unnecessary to cut temporary clamps for the outer positions - you can just as well turn ordinary clamps vertical while installing the intake. Haven't tried with the older style clamps, just the 25-27 style, though.

(Message edited by Roger K on May 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:41 am:

I use the Roger Swedish method. It works just fine for me. Three hands help too!:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

Frankly, I've never found it THAT hard to just put the manifolds up there carefully, letting the gland rings semi-sorta help hold one while you get the other one to do the same, then hold them with finger pressure until you can get a clamp snugged up. Yes, it might take a couple of tries, but really, it's not THAT hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

No one has questioned the picture of that interesting looking head Steve posted. Very unique!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

That's easy- "Honey, can you help me for a minute?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Steve's head looks like a standard low head. However, if you look just right it looks like an optical illusion around the spark plug holes.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Just wondering about using the 3 in one gasket set? and how do they work. If one type is better..Tim Hales Saginaw,Mi

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

I tried the one piece rings. I still wake up screaming during the night from such an horrible experience. I went back to the two piece rings and use a homemade clamp similar to the Stevens Manifold Clamp over the top of the head. Works like a charm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:59 pm:

I use two furniture clamps to hold the exhaust manifold in position while I get the intake manifold into position. With only one pair of hands, it seems to work well.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I use a nylon strap around the engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Coming back on some of the suggestions, any device which does not put load directly on the clamping pads on the manifold will tend to cock the manifold. Steve's rubber hold down will pull the top of the manifold against the cylinder head. That's OK as long as the manifold stays engaged with the gaskets and gland rings as it should, but in my experience, this rarely is the case.

Toon's keepers, the Stevens tool, and the cut off keepers I use result in the manifold being held correctly in line. The keepers can be used independently, allowing you to remove one or the other manifold, while leaving its mate in place.
They are at their best when the exhaust manifold can be left in place, while you remove the intake manifold so you can get the generator off a RHD car!

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:45 am:

Tim, gaskets like the ones in Jim Patrick's pictures are best. I use the first kind. Without the rings which fit into recesses in the engine and the manifolds, it's too easy for the heating and cooling exhaust manifold to become warped. It's a good idea to add some high-temp RTV to the washers, especially if the engine has rust pits that might otherwise allow leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:38 am:

I slipped the closed end of a 7/16" combination wrench over a stud and loosely nutted it.
Good enough to hold it in place until the intake was in position....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:26 am:

duh!! dont forget to take off the bungee,ha,ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Just get two junk manifold clamps, and cut the ends off each. That will hold the exhaust manifold while you install the intake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Yup I do what Larry said. I have two cut off to fit 22 - 27 and two others cut off to fit earlier T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I agree with LArry that's how we do it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration