Odd Canadian cast engine with USA number in Sweden?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Odd Canadian cast engine with USA number in Sweden?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:09 am:

A friend has an odd engine in his stash, it has a Canadian cast block but not the usual low canadian number with a C prefix, it's 7,805,716 = a June 12, 1923 USA number.
Usually we find USA cast blocks on our T's, though after the Copenhagen assembly plant started in 1919 many parts for the Swedish bound Fords came from the English Ford plant too, maybe also engines?

The casting date is 6 29 A, where A stands for 1923 on Canadian blocks. That's later than the supposed assembly date, so I don't think the engine was assembled in USA (if maybe the supply of US castings weren't enough and some were brought from the other side of the river..)

Another scenario would be that UK production needed more castings than they could make and got extra castings from Canada - they did get US numbers in batches to punch on their produced engines, so the supposed assembly date of June 12 wouldn't apply in that case.

But the most likely cause is that the original US block froze the first winter 1923/24 and the owner got a june 1923 candada cast block as a replacement form the local Swedish Ford dealer, thus it got punched with the number from the cracked block. The USA head on the engine points in that direction. Has any of you seen anything similar?

Canada cast
USA number
Canada date
USA head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Hi Roger.
I bought an engine from an old farm here in Vaermland, Sweden a few years ago. I had ben converted to a stationary engine a long time ago.It was also an canadian cast block stamped with us number : 7786294. That makes it a 9. June 1923 engine I believe. I don't have the casting date at hand.
From a swede to another. :-)
Rolf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Just have to add, the head is USA Ford script. Those engines are pretty close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Ok, Rolf - then I don't think it was a repair job - they're so similar they were likely built that way. Maybe even arrived in the same shipment. So maybe English production?

Only other Canadian marking I've seen over here was on a 26/27 emergency brake drum on a wood wheel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration