I don't know about you I like it what do you think?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I don't know about you I like it what do you think?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:29 am:

I don't know about you I like it what do you think?I get the feeling that Henry would have approved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-3-Door-Touring-Phaeton-Street-Rod-All-Steel -/191871994774?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2cac764b96:g:9wMAAOSw7W5XNpne&item=19187 1994774

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Definite no for me.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:42 am:

With a '93 Chxxy V6 engine? Not for Henry (and no vintage engineering interest from me)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Yuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:10 am:

I think its nicely done and, all but the hood and radiator shell, with stock sheet metal. I don't like that the top is either on or off though. (One piece, no folding down.)

Similar to a Model A I did years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:14 am:

eyecch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Norrie, Norrie, Norrie....to each his own! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Well, they make chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and so forth and that one just isn't my flavor but I'm sure it works for somebody. Does look like a nice paint job though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:57 am:

I personally cringe when I see any vintage car or truck modified to a hotrod. I just feel if your going to go through the time and trouble to turn it into a hotrod then you could had spent that same time and trouble to restore it back to its original condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:18 am:

No way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:39 am:

The sad thing is that it will bring three times the price of a fully restored original. :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Should have spent the money and time on a early V-8 Ford and be done with if you want to build a Hot Rod.
You can buy repo bodies and fab a chassis to build a Hot Rod for what he spent on butchering an original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:31 am:

no

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:46 am:

I think Henry would have done to this car what he did to Edsel's creation... starting with the bow tie and working his way down!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Not exactly my cup of T, but to me it looks like a very well-built and tastefully-done street rod. I don't see any original Model T parts which have been "butchered."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:57 am:

John, thanx for a good laugh.

I can appreciate the skill and work that went into the thing, but definitely not my cup of chai.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:01 am:

And, by the way, Henry didn't restore cars as we do now -- he was all about innovation.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like for Henry to appear in this day and age and see how cars (and other things) have evolved over the century or so since he was actively creating "the latest thing." I think he'd be amazed, and not in a negative way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Actually Henry Ford created some of the earliest restorations of his own vehicles, and opened the world's earliest transportation history museum. The Henry Ford is easily the world's oldest transportation museum, and it was restoring cars in the early 1930's.

No way Henry would have that pile of poo in his museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I like it, would drive it and knew what the majority of responses would be. Something different......egads!! Though like Ken K, I never understood the "carson" style tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I agree with Royce and the others: Yuck, No, No Way, and Eyecch!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I wouldn't pay a dime for that car. It's nicely painted, but just doesn't look right to me. If I want a fast car, I buy one which was fast from the factory. If I want a Model T, I buy a Model T. They don't mix.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Straight-up, .... I am a picky bastaad, with a heavy emphasis on aesthetics, practicality, and
historical relevance. I own Model T's not because they are fast or practical, but because the
black era cars are well proportioned, practical in terms of modern day support, and more than
anything, because they ARE the iconic vehicle of the "coming of age" of cars in America. Look
at almost any old street scene from 1920 and they are crawling all over the photo like ants on
an anthill.

Aesthetically, the way they sit high off the ground, the skinny tires and wood spoked wheels,
the low-mounted headlights and high radiator, the flimsy-looking fenders and boxy bodies ....
all this is what made them the iconic vision of the American streetscape in 1925.

To my eye, even the Improved Cars lost the look and the Model A is beyond consideration, as
it really was a jump into the modern era and that unique era of the T was over.

I'll never understand the attraction to lowering a car like this and putting tires under it that look
more like firewood rounds than pizza cutters, nevermind the glitzy paint and silly add-ons that
rodders seem to like. I guess it is a total miss, on their part, regarding the placement of "value"
in the period-correct appearance and performance that I find paramount to wanting a given car,
be that a two-toned 50's fin machine or a sputtering, shaking icon like the Model T. To me, cars
like the one in question are just a joke, and speak volumes about the "depth" of the person who
owns or is attracted to one.

Granted, Henry made MILLIONS of them, and if a person is going to chop up a car, it's best to
do it with a common example than something rare like a Marmon or Rockne. Still, I'd rather just
see them all kept historically accurate. Apparently, many see a car like this as "fun". All I see in
a car like this is cancer of the thinking unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

N Maver brought this e-bay ad and said he liked it.He also asked what we think.I think if N Maver really likes it he should hit the buy it now!! The model A pictured reminds me of when the cop's stopped our a and said we only have one tailight!! Yes Sir,i'm sure your right as this car never had two! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

"To me, cars like the one in question are just a joke, and speak volumes about the "depth" of the person who owns or is attracted to one."

I think Burgers post needs to be removed. There is a new banner across the top which states posts that insult other posters will be removed. You're comment insults me. Some people like pepperoni on their pizza, others like pineapple and ham. No need to be insulting. And before people jump on the "post for the good of the hobby" bandwagon, this is a post for the automotive hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Gary,

I don't agree with all of anyone's opinions. Still, they need to be heard for us to know what other opinions there are. Asking to remove a valid opinion just because you don't like it is a reprehensible idea.

That's my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Gary, we were asked for our opinion ... you know, that part where he asked "What do you think ?".

You are correct about the pizza, and if I say I think anchovies taste like #@!, you could choose to
read that as I think you have s#@!y taste, or you could just go on eating your pizza and accept that
others do not share your proclivity for anchovies, just as I accept that more people like hotrods than
those of us that prefer period correct vehicles.

Now, if you CHOOSE to go looking for an insult, that, my friend, is on you. I am speaking purely of
MY opinion and how I see those cars and that scene. If you CHOOSE to own that as a slam in you,
that is YOUR CHOICE, not an intended insult on my part.

Let's not go all PC on this one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Personally, I wouldn't mind having it. Like they say, variety is the spice of life. I've had Model A's, T's, 53 & 54 F100's, one stock, one with era correct speed equipment. Took a 31 roadster pick up from a hot rod back to stock. I sold my T a year ago, but have a lead on a speedster that hasn't "left the barn" since the mid 60's. My current project is a very modified Suzuki Samurai, I'm the bane of the Jeep owners existence :-) My point is- With so many flavors out there, why stick to vanilla?

Just my 2 cents worth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

Burger: You couldn't have stated it better. Those are my sentiments exactly, but you presented them better than I could. I have lots of good friends in the "street rod" set that love their cars, but personally, I just don't get it. If they want something with a small block Chevy, fat tires on mag wheels with rattles and wind noise,fine, cut up an old Chev or just buy a used Camaro, but quit cutting up iconic pieces of history. Especially the ones that initiated the hobby in the first place. Cheers : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Guys,.....you know, when you think about it, there are several different types of what I'll call,..."automotive enthusiasts" and that's really not bad. My Dad used to say that this world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing. Some of you probably won't believe (or can't understand this) but there are "automotive enthusiasts" that think us Model T Ford restoration/preservation guys are absolutely "NUTS"! And there are those on this forum (me included) that have actually admitted that!

To add just a bit to what Gary Schreiber just said,....yes,.... "some people like pepperoni pizza and some like pineapple and ham". I happen to like pepperoni pizza best, but would I say that those that like pineapple & ham "speaks volumes about the "depth" of the person who likes pepperoni & ham? No! Actually, to me, a slice or two of "P&H" along with my pepperoni tastes pretty good once in awhile.

Ease up on Burger a bit Gary,....I'm sure he didn't mean to "insult" anybody,....he's a pretty good writer and sometimes gets pretty "wound up" in his attempts to make a point. You know,....like a preacher who believes in what he preaches to the point that his "sermons" involve a lot of heart-felt emotion, and that's not wrong. Understandable, right?

And by the way,....not that anybody cares (and at my age, I'm getting so that I really don't much give-a-rip what anybody "cares" or thinks about me anyway) but I own four Model "T"s and one very nice '29 Model A Ford Briggs Town Sedan that I like and enjoy almost as much as the Model "T"s! And as far as I'm concerned, the "T" guys that absolutely hate Model A's can just go polish their brass, and scratch their ...... well,...... er,.... ahhh,..... now then,...... I'm getting a bit too "emotionally involved" here myself......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Ooops! I took too long to respond to Gary Schreiber's post, and while I was "pontificating", several others have said what I was trying to say, only they said it better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

I've seen worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Interesting views from one and all however I still like it,however I do prefer Originals here is a picture from today its the 1915 with the Forth rail bridge in the background the bridge is 126 years old.

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Interestingly enough this 15 itself is a bit of a hot rod with a Ford Model a crankshaft and a Volkswagen carburettor!!!! and did I mention the distributor

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

n maver - Nice photo of an interesting set-up! We have a couple guys in our club with very similar VW intake set-up, which seems to be very successful. In fact, the one fellow has been running the VW carb for many years and it's apparently "bullet=proof"! I think both of those guys are pretty much "lurkers" on the forum though,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

I have driven quite a few Model T over the years and this particular 15 is by far the quickest the most powerful and absolutely without a doubt the best on fuel .

​

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

Not my style at all. I have several friends who would like it. My Touring was the only original T at the Dank's Memorial car show last Saturday. The only other T was a Street Rod. Any type of car is welcome at most of the car shows in our area. Many nice people that have different ways of building cars. Once you get to know them they are good folks and enjoy the cars. They respect what I do and we get along pretty well. Most of them wouldn't cut up a nice original car but pass it on to a restorer. If you want to play cars in a small town you have to have an open mind.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think! Interesting topic. As I looked at the car in question, I really didn't see much OEM Model T to begin with. No harm/ no foul. Is it a car I would buy? No. But I see and appreciated the work it took to execute and build it. There are things I like about it. For years we have built parts for cars like this one, right along side parts for stock Fords. My first build was a 31 sedan like Kens (and I really like it), only mine sat higher with a straight axle in front running on 12 spokes. 327, 4sp, to 4:88. It would carry the front wheels thru the intersection, every time I left on green. I loved that car. It was fun. It's also fun going 35 and enjoying the world go by. I like to watch it go by at 135 as well. Better? No, it's different. Just like all these cars, their different. And that causes me to think and appreciate not only the cars, but the people who build them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

I especially like the boot or should I say trunk ! I also really like Tom's comment ( But I see and appreciated the work it took to execute and build it. )

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

It looks good for someone else. Though it looks like a high dollar build and a nice car. I personally like T s and A s that looking like the came from ford.The historical significance makes a T a really cool car for collectors of all kinds. Just my thought . Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Different strokes! I think The Jalopy Journal is a fun forum. I really enjoy seeing "Old School" hot rods.

Model A's should have been built with a 24 stud 85 hp flathead in it to begin with.

Cookie cutter hot rods are simply a function of deep pockets. A small block Chevy in a plastic '23 T-bucket and Mickey Thompson tires are as big a pain in the butt as a pimple on a Hemoroid.

Cars built prior to 1928 shouldn't be turned into such atrocities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Yes,Henry did make millions of them but the part that should rule them out of this is there are very few parts on a model T that will stand much HP.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Nice phot of the Firth of Forth bridge in Fife. I have been at that exact spot in 2006.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 05:01 am:

Royce make sure you drop in for a cup of tea next time you are here.

N

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:07 am:

Fellas when it comes down to it we are all dust and the cars are all rusting iron....each racing to return to it's origins! Ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Burger, I understand he asked opinions. Many answered with one word, some with one or several sentences. As your norm, you extend that to paragraphs and that's ok. When you make derogatory comments regarding those that would like/build/own or drive this, that is what I consider insulting. And as you probably guessed, I prefer feta and spinach pizza

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

My paragraphs allowed for others to do what I do not understand. I accept that. I think their nuts, and perhaps that might be
seen by some as derogatory. However, anyone who follows my posts knows that I freely declare myself to be a full bubble off of
plumb and proudly wear the shirt and badge as a certified nutter. As such, I place no mean spirited judgement upon others who
might be nuts in other ways than my own. Afterall, we are ALL outright fruitcakes in the eyes of the unwashed masses, who think
Kia's and Hyundai's and a cul-de-sac life is the only way to live.

And by the way, .... feta and spinach ? Wassamattayoo ??? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 12:27 am:

I do admire the creativity and the work it took to put it together car nut rusty or chrome need get along, I made many friends taking an orginal to shows

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Craftsmanship has endless possibilities, correct? That's a nice build,,,they didn't build it for you, or it would look different, right? Lots of time and effort and $$$ go into any build,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:43 am:

I like it ......

Nothing I have ever hauled has been 100% original.

I am not even 100% original.

Such is Life .....

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration