FJ - 1910 Metz and 1911 Stanley Steamer - it was a good day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - 1910 Metz and 1911 Stanley Steamer - it was a good day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

1975 Ford PU in the same family since new w/ over 400K miles ....

I liked Ed from the moment I met him ....:-)

I had a 1910 Metz to pick up with some extras

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Ed is restoring a couple Stanley Steamers ....

An original 1911 Model 71 four door

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:14 am:

You can see more images of this day & other places I visit ...

Instagram @ http://instagram.com/directenclosedautohauler/#

Twitter @ https://twitter.com/directautohaul

Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Beaumont on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:44 am:

That's a 1913 Metz. 1910-11 was a 2 cylinder air cooled model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Jeff,

Looking thru my email correspondence it appears it is a 1914 Metz.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:26 am:

That's not a 75 Ford truck either. 74 was the last year for that body style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Actually 1972 was the last year for the bump on the side. It became a dent in 1973. Yes, I came here just to be "That Guy" lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Burger,

Ed says it is a 1975

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Well I'll add fuel to the model year fire! It's not even a '74...my first Ford F100 was a '74 and it had the so-called "dent", rather indentation down the side just under the hood all the way back. You never forget your first truck. This one is about a 72-73.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:46 am:

That truck with that body style grill is
a 1969.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:51 am:

the pickup is a 70

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Nice to see some pictures when you haul interesting old vehicles, Jim - regardless of the exact model years :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Hi Roger,

Thanks!

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Great pictures... especially of the Stanley's! Since you know I am looking for chassis parts, now I know what I should be looking for! That pump tray picture was awesome! Got to find one of those!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Robert wants the whole tray, with the parts!! :-) Very cool Stanley pictures. For those that don't know, the frame is wood--gives one pause for thought, considering there's a fire under the hood to make the car go! You do want the fire to stay inside the boiler shell, but sometimes it wants to get out!
Very neat looking at that project!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Robert,

So glad you were able to talk with Ed while I was still there.

What a wealth of information he is about steamer cars.

He has an original unrestored Stanley boiler sitting outside in the back yard, he has pressure tested it and it still works !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Not a factory color either. Originally the hood would have been all green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Glad we all got to practice our nitpicking! I enjoyed Freighter Jim's post and pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

David... How else am I going to build a Stanley without the pump tray with all pumps included! :-)

At least there are folks making the pumps... at a cost though.

Like I always say, one step at a time... eventually you will get there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Ted,

Thanks but I always have nits for the picking .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

The Ford pick up is a 1970 model built in October 1969.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Looking at the sixth picture of the Steamer, it looks like he's installing a "potty". How handy on long trips!! Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 12:54 am:

That Metz was at Bakersfield for $18,000.00

The 2 seats in the back are home made additions. This according to the seller. I bought a large brass automotive water pump from him, he seems like a very nice guy and was happy to chat about the Metz. I would have been interested but the price was too steep based on the overall condition of the car. Older amateur restoration, needing a complete redo.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:39 am:

I would love to get a Metz or other friction drive car some day if room and budget would allow. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Brass car guy your correct I chatted with the seller and thought the same thing although I really like it but I was giving my thought on the IHC
But if I brought a car home the mrs would have killed me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Agreed brass car guy I was giving it some seriouse thought but IHC was another , they both seemed tad high on price.
Good thing I didn't have a trailer or FJ wasn't around or I be getting the nevada cure about now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Metz cartoon

Metz

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration