Two steel bars, which one should I use?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Two steel bars, which one should I use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:26 am:

I guess it was going to happen I have to wait till tommerow to see if they reply but you would think if you order severe real piece of the same part they be the same here just one I had handy I had in the house

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:25 am:

Actually, "you would think" that BEFORE you posted something like this on the Forum with the title topic you selected, you would contact the vendor and allow them the opportunity to reply.

I've been buying from Lang's for 20 years and have never had an issue with their customer service (which is phenomenal - second to none); on the rare occasion when there has been a problem with a part, they have never failed to make it right. It just took a phone call during business hours. They deserve a hell of a lot better than to be blindsided by a post-midnight cheap shot on this place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:43 am:

I agree with Ron, give Lang's a chance to resolve the problem before trashing them publicly. I think you'll find they will bend over backwards to rectify the issue. On the very rare occasion when I've had some minor problem, they certainly went out of their way to keep me as a happy, repeat customer. Don and his staff are good people that care about the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:45 am:

All the parts on my Model T came from Langs, They will take good care of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:52 am:

I agree with the others, give them a chance and the opportunity to take care of any issues you have before a public posting. Or any of the other vendors for that matter. Langs is great and will take care of any issues you may have ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:52 am:

Never had an issue with Langs always ready & willing to help give em a chance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:34 am:

bob's post is incomprehensible to me. Anyone have any idea what he is trying to say in this non-punctuated run-on sentence?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:09 am:

and

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Relax folks. Bob is a regular contributor here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I suspect Bob's mtfca registration has been hacked? (BTW, Lang's has ALWAYS satisfactorily resolved any parts issue with me in one simple phone call.) respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Guy's, there is no need to "dogpile" on Bob. His mastery of the keyboard may not be up to some people's standards, but he's a regular poster and he certainly know his way around a model T.

This is one story that should end well. Lang's reputation just about guarantees they will make this good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:39 am:

I've kept a good stock of parts in my shop, bought from various vendors/manufacturers for almost 15 years now. I've seen probably a half dozen different variations on rear axle keys and they all work just fine... Bear in mind the vendor may have a couple hundred keys in their bin on the shelf that may have come from 3 or 4 manufacturers.

Did you measure them against an original Ford Key? Did you try them on the shaft and test fit the hub?

There is one CRITICAL question everyone should ask themselves before posting something here... "Is it an insignificant problem?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:54 am:

I used my Little Orphan Annie decoder pin on Bob's cryptic message and all's I got was "Paul is Dead" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:06 am:

I...buried...Paul...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I won't go into detail about how I feel about grammar police but it was easy to understand his axle keys don't look the same. Even if they are just straight pieces of key stock,a few seconds on the bench grinder will provide the notch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I am with the others in saying this will end well knowing Don Lang. I have dealt with them and never had any problem that didn't end well.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Come on! Are you going to turn this into another week long hate fest?
Let Bob work it out with Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

I don't need to say anything about this thread so I won't - except :-)
I have never had a problem with Don and the crew standing behind their products -
in fact they go out of their way to make things right.

The only thing that bothers me about Don is that he has an uncanny way of finding the good deals in New England before the rest of us! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I think we should all get our pitchforks and clubs, along with some tar and a few feathers, and all go pay Bob a visit tonight. There's no excuse for all he's done to upset the rest of us. Somebody get a rope. This can't end well.

Or, we could just lighten up a little and understand he was simply blowing off a little steam, late at night, on a forum, that is generally friendly in its treatment to others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Good one Bill Harper.
Laugh of the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Can we get more photos of pedophiles posted here ? That would be terrific !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Isn't the Internet a wonderful thing. It only takes a matter of minutes to launch a global attack on one guy. And for the record, I figure a lot of you guys would have questioned why the parts from Langs were different. And some might have even thought, for just a second, of posting a message similar to Bob's. But there's no way I would have done such a horrible thing! But, some of the rest of you...

Good one Burger! You're obviously dealing with some kind of mental sickness however, it's an illness a lot of us relate too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Seriously, Mr. G. .... keys being different sizes, or crammed-down-our-throats-by-the-media pedophiles ....
which is the REAL problem ???

It's amusing/sickening to sit back and observe how we, as a culture, are conditioned to see what is a
"problem" vs. just bellyache about stupid, meaningless stuff. As a guy who saw combat, I am sure your
head is thoroughly squared away on what is a real problem and what is not. A key that hides inside an
axle housing not matching the key that hides on the other side of the axle ??? As long as it fits the slot
and does it's job, seems to this observer that this is NOT a problem. Yet some will think it is.

This is what a problem looks like to me:

When people are actively trying to kill you, it puts all other "problems" in perspective. When people
are actively trying to diddle little kids, ... that's a problem. According to our media, people who point
out what real problems are are the actual problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

It's a 95 cent part. Take a file to it and move on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

But, no harm was done by someone bringing awareness to the fact the keys were different. And we're not discussing pedophiles, and it's really not worth the effort to criticize or ridicule someone who says something some of us might not agree with. Maybe we all need to sit back and consider the adage " if you have got nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut!" But some of us won't. And ain't none of us gonna get out of this life alive. "You eat, you $hit, you die!" But we'll only mourn your passing as long as necessary and life will go on. We used to have a problem in the jungle telling the good guys in the black pajamas from the bad guys in the same black pajamas. So we decided it was best to "kill 'em all! Let God sort 'em out."

Our time here is very short. To waste it brow beating some guy who bitches about a couple insignificant (to most of us) keys and not just move on, doesn't seem productive. And yet we're all different and some will consider the importance of someone else's lack of grammatical skills, and have to say something about it. And that'll seem petty too. But life's a bitch, and then...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Many of us live by a line delivered by Olympia Dukakis in the movie Steel Magnolias, "If you can't say anything nice about anybody, come sit by me". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Looks like a pair of axle keys. Both will need to be fitted as part of installing the hubs and both will work fine. A trip to the hardware store to buy a short piece of steel key stock and one could make a matching pair themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

No disrespect to Ms. Dukakis, but I think that line originated with "Princess" Alice Roosevelt, daughter of Teddy and his first wife Alice. She had a pillow with that statement embroidered on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

R.V.,

No kidding! I didn't know that. This knowledge makes the quote even better.

Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I just want to add my kudos for Lang's service. I've purchased many new parts from them, as well both used and NOS parts without ever having an issue. Maybe my day will come, but I rest easy knowing that everything will be made right if and when an issue does arise. That fact alone is worth my loyalty.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Well ain't life just a big box of freaking chocolates! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Since the title on this thread has changed I find that I need to answer the question about which bar.

My answer is, When your thirsty, any bar will do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Have a little cheese with all this whine? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Yeah, it makes sense to carefully consider which things are really "problems" and prioritize solution efforts wisely like our president does with toilets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Don and I have been friends for many years, and I have accompanied him on many parts gathering expeditions. The explanation for how he finds the stashes of good Model T stuff is very simple: They call his name and he answers.

One such expedition was to a small town in New York state between New York City and Albany. Don had told me about this place for years. He learned about it about in 1986. It looked like an old farmstead on the outside with a house, two barns, and a garage. It was the site of an old Ford Dealership that appeared as though they quit work one day, locked the door, and never came back...

Don had gotten the lead from a guy who had cleaned out all the Model A and V-8 stuff. He got most of the Model T stuff, and all the KR Wilson and Stevens repair tools. According to Don, it took several trips, and he had to send someone else to pick up the last load on account of Patty having their second son. Supposedly, the only parts he left behind were "tailings", and the Fordson parts.

We were in the area some years later on another buy, and Don decided to see if he could find the place again. Sure enough, he found it. Not only that, but they remembered him from years before, and they let him in again. At which point I learned the meaning of the word "Tailings" according to Don. Tailings consisted of NOS Model T flywheels (with triple gear spins), a large selection of NOS muffler parts, NOS glass, NOS TT parts including a left rear axle housing. The owners had bought a Layton shelving system for Model A parts (we got that too), but they had used wood shelving boxes for the Model T parts. We were running out of room on the back of the ramp truck, so we left those behind. I liberated the "paper" which gave me an education on how the dealers reordered parts.

It was an amazing experience to say the least.

Don's luck is such that I suspect he could give up selling old car parts to devote full time to playing the lottery - and make a good living at it.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

I must have missed something,nowhere in Bob's message did I see a Dealers name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Frank S. is absolutely right. Nowhere in the title or text of Bob M.'s original post is a vendor named.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

Frank I thought this was a continuation from another thread about trouble with a vendor's parts but I couldn't really figure out how people determined it was the vendor mention time and time again in the thread. I started looking back through some other threads to see if I'd missed something. I thought I'd lost my mind. Thanks for confirming that I am still sane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Jay and Bob,

I am still alive and kicking...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Sometimes the Government needs to step in and correct all our misguided thoughts and deeds, thank you government!....Wait,.. what? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Make it NOT So, Number One! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

Make it NOT So, Number One! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:50 am:

First off yes my post has been EDITED
FIRST OFF I jumped the gun as this is the first issue with Langs
And I was a bit bad day yesterday, and upon getting this box from them topped it off.
First item I needed they said they had part# 2805
but sent part #2704 and is not listed.
I have communicated with Steve Lang and we are ok.
I just don't want see another good vendor turning into Macs or snyders.
I don't have a wanted post for part #2805 quanity of 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:10 am:

Live Long and Prosper,Bob!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:07 am:

In his original post Bob does not say that he bought the part from Lang's. Why do the others assume it was from Lang's? If that key is the right width to fit the slot in the axle and hub, all he needs to do to make it fit is to grind a taper on one end. Not a big problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:15 am:

There was an earlier thread (or an earlier version of this thread) from Bob where the vendor's name was in the title - apparently someone (Chris?) edited the thread to remove the vendor's name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Glad it all worked out for you Bob. It sucks when you're already having a bad enough day and something as simple as taking a piece out of a box is a let down.

To the Moderator(s?): I think it would be more helpful if a little note was added when you change a post in order to look less sneaky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:28 am:

I would not grind the key. That taper would make it much easier to tap the key out of the slot.
If it is put in the right way...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

A bad day ....

When I was about 15, my Mother took my brother and I to visit her parents in California. One day, everyone
decided to go into town and for reasons I do not remember, I stayed behind, ending up next door talking to the
old man who lived next door on his front porch.

After a spell, two old women came by on a walk, and making friendly, he asked them how their day was going,
at which point they launched into a gripe session about how tough their day had been. We listened, and when
they said their goodbyes and got out of hearing distance, the old man really went off on a rant about bad days.

I asked him why he was so wound up and he explained that he was one of the guys who went ashore in the first
wave on Omaha Beach, going into graphic detail of what trumps all for "having a bad day". He said few even have
the right to claim such an experience, and anyone who might dispute this needs to go through something like that.

I was only 15, but I knew all about Normandy and had the presence of mind to understand his point completely.

Most people have no clue what a "bad day" really looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Steve Lang as the whole business are stand up folks
5 cent part gets the same attention as a 500 dollar item
Issue has been resolved
But I don't feel it is right to adjust posts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

I get a warm tingly feeling whenever I call Lang's.
When I visited a couple years ago Don showed me some of his personal vehicles.
It included a Model T Bonneville racer.
A little while latter I called to order some parts and Steve answered the phone.
I mentioned the car and he spent 15 minutes with me talking about it.
I felt as if I was talking with a close friend.

I wish that there was a Langs for my Model A

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration