Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stupid, stupid, stupid!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:58 am:

Installing the coil box in my roadster, I dropped a nut. Where did it go? Right into the #3 spark plug hole, of course. I was afraid I might have to pull the head to get it out.

Fortunately, I was able to fish it out with a magnet on a wire. Then I made sure there were spark plugs in the holes before I finished installing the coil box. We've all heard about stuffing rags in the transmission. I'm adding plugs in the holes to my list of anti-gravity precautions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:16 am:

It's better to be lucky than smart. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:24 am:

I did the same thing this evening, but left the plugs in place for just this sort of
eventuality. Hope to be on the road this weekend. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:32 am:

Make it 3 of us. I put the coil box on my 15 roadster tonite as well. Had the plugs in......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 04:14 am:

I dropped the small silver screw cap off the top of a spark plug into mine once, luckily I had purchased one of those long bendy tube spy cameras. This and a finger pickup tool I got it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 04:17 am:

When I rebuild the coil box on my '27 I'm going to do it on the workbench and avoid all that :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:36 am:

I have a magnet that looks just like that! And for a similar reason.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Wow,I read the title and i expected to see my name! Glad you got it out and thank you for making us think! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:44 am:

No Bud, that would be me! I did the same stupid thing as Kevin did..funny how those little silver caps just know to pop out between your fingers and down into the spark plug hole...I was lucky, both valves were closed, I could even see part of the cap and got it out with the finger tool too. Man did my heart skip a beat first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:50 am:

I have used an air hose to get one of those silver caps out. I dropped it in and had remembered reading a mechanic story about a "GUS" I think in one of dad's old magazines that told how to do that and what do you know it worked! I was very happy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:17 am:

I keep 4 half inch pipe plugs hand just for that reason. Amazing how those holes can attract anything that falls on the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:18 am:

A piece of gooey chewing gum on a stick can catch things sometimes that are brass :-). Had to figure that 1 out because of similar situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Eric, after you rebuild it you'll have to install it. Beware!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Mack, I just happen to have, in my folder of pictures, a photo of a correctly executed, drop-forged, heat-treated, case-hardened, brass-plated, double bubble-gum loop, made to original Ford drawings and specs. _The ones without the Ford logo imprint are a little cheaper, but of course, the purists among us will object.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Another thing to be careful of, is if you are working with the inspection cover off the hogshead, put the coil box key in your pocket!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Don't feel bad Steve, I dropped the nut inside the transmission on my 26 while working on the bands.....TWICE! After all that fishing I was starting to get good at it.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Steve -- Did you just call me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Bob, what do you use to get the gum out of the cylinder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Michael,
Glad you asked that question. _I called my old paraochial-school nun, Sister Mary Knuckles. _She holds a Ph,D in dealing with chewing-gum problems (but unfortunately, the car had to wear the gum on its nose for the remainder of the day—I believe this technique is known as "humiliation therapy").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

I dropped a nut installing my TT rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

When I do that it is a stainless steel nut and a magnet will not pick it up. Fortunately it was an aircraft engine and I was able to get it out of the lower spark plug hole with a chopstick.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration