Update on Frank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Update on Frank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

One picture shows Frank on the day of his arrival here, April, 16. The other pictures were taken a few minutes ago. Not the best photography but I'm pleased with the work of the painter.

(Message edited by adminchris on May 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Looks fantastic ! How does he keep the shop so clean?? Something I have to work on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

He told me that his wife cleaned it up because she plans a garage sale there this Saturday. I asked him if she would come over and clean up my garage and he told me that I couldn't afford her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

John,

I like the blue color -- it is going to look really nice!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Looking good!

btw... The wooden hood shelves and the latches should be black, too...

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Much better. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Along with the pie wagon thread, it's nice to see major transformations that do not take years and years to complete. Looks nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Great color. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Big improvement!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Thanks for all the encouragement on the fun project. One of the good things about this Model T is that my wife really likes it. This afternoon I spent some time with a pin stripe guy who really does good work and is very reasonable. I'm still curious about the lettering I found inside the two rear doors---picture attached. Royce and I have talked about it and I also checked out an auto restoration outfit in southern California with the same name, however their phone number is no longer good. We're thinking the paint job took place in the 1970s but aren't sure about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Looks fabulous John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:10 am:

I am going to miss that ugly old color! (Someone had to say it.)
Seriously, I think it is going to look great! Looking beautiful. Thanks for the updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Took these pictures this afternoon. We used Mercedes 904 midnight blue and it sure is dark but I like it. Hope to get to the pin stripe guy next week. Sure does look different, don't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

Wow John, I like the color. It will be interesting to see it under different light conditions. Very nice......

Thank you for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

John-
It looks great! The black fenders, running boards and splash shields enhances the DB904 color.

Remember, there is no pin stripe below the bottom of the seat except the little triangle above the rear fender.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Wow. That's beautiful paint. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Keith, you are correct. I have some good pictures to guide the pin striper. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Now that is "all but black" blue! Looks great! The project is really moving along, can't wait to see it finished! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Keith just pointed out that the park brake handle should be black and I guess he's correct, however a previous owner, not Royce, had that and the pedals brassed. Sure would hate to change that, but will think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Looks amazing John! Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

Your photography is wonderful!
This is happening SOOO fast!
Frank is becoming handsome.
Wow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:06 am:

Oh yeah! So, SO, nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:23 am:

It looks like a totally different car. NICE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:18 am:

It really looks nice!!!

You could leave the pedals and brake handle brass like it is and that would be its' identifying
feature.

Just a thought....

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Sure does look beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Not finished but just put the hood back on Frank and I am hopeful to be done next week. The rain we've had the last few days has caused delays on the pin stripe guy but we'll just wait until we have a low humidity day to get that done. If the rain ever stops I'll get a good picture out in the sun so you can see the contract between the black and the dark blue. Sure do appreciate all the nice comments. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

This project is moving at warp speed, beautiful! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Royce is going to want it back! Great job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Dang good job John!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Mucho thumbs up, job well done!!

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Yes, your car looks great, John. Now I have a question:

I recently saw a dark blue Mercedes in a parking lot. Intrigued, I walked over for a better look. Upon close inspection, i realized that the paint was a metallic. Of course I have no way of knowing if it was 904 Midnight blue.

Is the 904 on your car a non-metallic color, or did you have it mixed in a non-metallic base ? I wasn't sure what would happen if a different base was used in a color originally intended as a metallic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 08:24 am:

904 is a non metallic color. If you see a Mercedes in that color you will find yourself asking if your eyes are seeing black or blue. It is very dark, as it should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Thank you, Royce. That sounds like a perfect 1912 color. The Mercedes that I saw in a parking lot looked beautiful, but evidently wasn't 904.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

I had a 31 Model A pickup painted a dark blue which the bodyman said was a Mercedes color.

You can tell the difference from the 3/4 rear shot but some of them the truck looks all black.

1931 Model A Pickup, wide box, steel roof, last month of production

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

So is this color of the 1912 (using the 904 Mercedes color) the same as the 1913 tourings were painted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Been without power since Friday afternoon due to all the storms in our area, however it came back on about 30 minutes ago. Anyway, Royce answered the question correctly. There is no metallic in the paint. Right now I'm busy trying to figure out an easy way to put the leather pieces back on the edge of the hood. Tight fit but I'm getting there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

What year 904 Mercedes color? This might be important to know when buying the paint some day.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

I'll check with my paint supplier and see if I can get something that makes sense and pass it along. I sure do like the dark blue on Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Well, this is a big day around here. Rolled Frank out of the garage, put some water in the radiator and started him up for the first time since April 16. Paint, except for the pin strip, is all done. That really is dark blue on the body. I'll put the top back on last thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

I don't think that could look much better! Great job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Let me be Frank about Frank. I Photoshopped him a little to correct for blue. Blue usually lightens up in photography while red darkens a bit. So I adjusted for more cyan which is a light greenish blue and also adjusted for true blue. Frank

Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Frank thanks you Frank. Now my wife wants to crank Frank. She's tried, however, being a little biddy lady, no luck so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Mary used to crank our 1913 Cadillac and drive it. 366 cubic inch four cylinder engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

I sure hope Marilyn doesn't read my last post where I referred to her as "biddy". Looking up the definition of biddy I see that isn't good. I should have said "bitty" as in "little bitty". That's better now in case I get caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:41 am:

What does Otis think about the new guy in the garage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Well, Frank has been so busy the last 6 weeks I haven't had a chance to take a picture of them together, but I will soon. Now, that will be a contrast for sure. I'll let Otis know you're concerned about him. However, last Saturday Otis and I met some buddies for breakfast in town, so he's still gettin' around. Another thing about Otis, he's a chick magnet and the pretty girls always want their picture taken with him. He likes that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Be careful when you park two Model T's in the garage and leave them alone for the winter. Look what happened at our house!

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Well, six weeks after Frank showed up at our place with an orange paint job we went for a test drive this morning showing off the black and blue new paint. Frank and I will need to spend some time getting to know one another but I'm very please so far. Thanks for all the kind remarks here on the forum, this project has been fun and this forum made it more so. Thanks again to MTFCA members and for Royce for his patience in answering all my questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:59 am:

Frank looks great.
And of course Otis is a Stud ;)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration