Photos Today from Luray Va PRE WAR SWAP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Photos Today from Luray Va PRE WAR SWAP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Baker on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Arrived at 10:30am and things were bustel'n. New vendors added to last years crew... 39 in total today, am told 4-5 more to show on Friday. As a vendor I had a good day meeting shoppers from South Carolina, Northwestern Pennsylvania, Tennessee. Two guys from Ohio said they found so many deals here last year they returned and spending 2 days this time around.

Site sits totally surrounded by mountains...!!!! I told they guys at the VFW they need to chainsaw some trees and they could charge just for the view... hey no charge for parking or entry at the Pre-War. Improvements for vendors are showers. The VFW guys in the mess tent have added french fries. Home cooked breakfast at 8am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

It was a great day at the Luray Prewar Swap meet. I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow. Two nice cars and and Brent Mize operating his model engine.....l1l2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Some more of the vendors and parts for sale. You could find just about anything...l2l3l4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

l4l6l9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Today's haul from the Luray meet included a New Day timer in the original box, a crack free reverse drum, A few NOS axle bearing sleeves, two Transmission center shafts - all checked out to be good between centers - Three boxes of band linings for practically the price of one box, three "figure 8" Shackles, and some various other things... and a Mid-Atlantic Prewar Swap Meet T-shirt! l10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

We had a nice time. The whole drive down is good. Don't forget to buy a swap meet t-shirt on the way out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:19 am:

I sure like that Aluminum trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Baker on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:44 am:

New vendors just arrived... still not too late to call in sick today...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Anyone have the asking prices for the cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

18,000 for the 14 Model T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

28,500 for the Overland..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Sure would like the bid ditch light. Anyone know what it's selling for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

I need some parts!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Looks good, very good for a new meet. I hope to be able to go, in a couple years. I will go as a vendor if possible. Keep the photos coming, Whoever is overseeing the meet, keep up the good work, and advertise it all the time. Would be nice to have another choice of pre-war meets to go to. This one is also in very nice country to just visit as well :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Some photo's from early Thursday morning during set-up.l11l12l13

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Another image of Brent's engine model114

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:08 am:

121 There were plenty of early parts to be found. One fellow I met from Indiana was building a brass T from scratch. He came and loaded his car full of deals which included a complete 12 rivet rear axle assembly with 2 piece drive shaft. Here is a pic of a few of the goodies he's taking home with him.. including an early T-cup narrow nose pan and a pre-12 Mag ring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I had spotted that early field-coil in one of the earlier photos above. I wonder what he had to pay for that pan and whether it is a seven rivet or a later one???
Thanks all for the wonderful photos! Although sometimes it can be annoying to spot parts you need and not be able to go and get them. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

I had a great time. The guys from Ohio were great they had a great time and left loaded down with parts. I gave them my Hershey space numbers so they can hang out. I found a 24 hood for a friend and a ansen intake for my coupe. I was very impressed...This event is growing! All my V8 flathead parts sold fast! 32 chevy hood sold.
I will bring more early V8 stuff next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

how many parts vendors were there??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Wayne... there were two of those early coils there. I bought the other one that was there and paid $25 for it. Its the 1910 version and in great shape. The fellow who bought the one in the photo above paid $20 for his. The pan sold for $90 and it has the full tea cup, but I don't recall if it had 7 or 3 rivets holding the ears on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Total vendor count was 33. That's more than last year and I've already talked to some new folks who are planning to attend next year and sell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

My wife Karen and I got back from Luray about 2 PM. I have been to Chickasha twice and it's much more fun to drive 330 miles through the Shenandoah Valley than 1000 miles on I40.
We did OK selling stuff, but there was a lack of shoppers. The volume of A and T parts was incredible. I found two bargains - a spring-loaded curved tubular bumper in heavy brass for $85 and an excellent-appearing high radiator with a perfect nickel-plated shell. I had to pay $100 for that. I can't wait to polish it.
I can't see why all T and A lovers don't go to Luray. There were plenty of good parts.
P.S. The VFW food was great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Baker on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Dave from TN.... compared to last years traffic... I at times felt swamped with business as a vendor.

Last year I had maybe one customer every half an hour walk thru the field, this year a HUGE increase as there were at times 2 or more shoppers looking over the treasures I brought.

I've got an opportunity to buy a vintage 1954 Stainless Fruehoff 30 foot trailer ( round nose and in super shape ) and if you recall I was more than willing to make a deal happen this week. I'm also looking to buy a shed packed full of vintage car jacks and that as well was pushing and driving me really hard to close any and all deal deals at the Luray Swap. In all of two days there was only one shopper who I turned down the money offer. ( I told him to come back, but he never came back... his loss ).

Going home I hit a yard sale just down the road and bought two almost new 1950's porcelain barn lights with all wires and mounts intact for $10 each... my long term goal is to restore a 1940's auto dealership and make it into a dance hall and icecream shop. Had fun in Luray coming and going...!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 06:05 am:

This was my 2nd year and I stayed for 2 days. What a great show! To the folks that put this together, GREAT JOB, Thank You! I found all kinds of treasures at very reasonable prices & really met some fine folks. I thought this was one of the more unusual pieces, not sure it would pass a OSHA inspection, but I know it would put a sharp edge on your pocket knife!Model T Knife Sharpener!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:00 am:

good job guys...hope the show turns out to be big in a few years.. we need this type of show in this part of the country

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Here's some of the prices I saw or paid at the Luray swap meet. Feel free to add what you saw or paid, if you fell so inclined. It will only help the meet grow and become more enjoyable for everyone:

Good Tiger Timers - $5.00 each
New Day Timer, complete, in the box - $70
Full set of used, but good Timkens - $5.00 set
Narrow nose pan - $90
Three 12 rivet differentials to choose from - all under $400 Two had 2 piece drive shafts
12 rivet for a wide-track $ ??
NOS Axle bearing sleeves - $5.00 each
Shackles, Figure 8, good used - $10.00 each
Bras hub fan - some life still left in it - $45
Brass top coils, they buzzed - $25 each
Transmission drums - no visible cracks: $40
1910, double stack mag ring - $25
Three boxes of old cantex scandanavia band linings (one box missing one lining) $75 for all
Two spool assembies, including pinion brg and thrust assembly (one with NOS innards) $25 for the pair.
1915 axle housings - $40
Champion X plugs - $5.00 each
Two Transmission center shafts - indicated good - $25 for the pair
Used Hyatts - $5 each
Set of used, but like new adjustable lifters - $25

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

James III, Sounds like some really good deals! I paid more than that apiece a few years ago for my two tea-cup three rivet pan arm pans. Both were in nice shape but very rusty, and a bit over $100 apiece (some straightening was required). Some of those other items you mention sound pretty good too!
Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

I would like to thank everyone that organized the swap meet and made the event possible.

I had a great time selling and buying! I had an even better time meeting and talking with some great people.

If you didn't go you missed out. You need to mark your calendars for next year.

If you are looking for Model T parts and don't want to hike for miles looking at other stuff, then this is where you need to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

What a great looking swap meet. I wish I'd been there. I'm getting excited for the Farmington Swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Just back from Luray and had a great time!

Took a trailer 1/2 full of heavy stuff, and came back with a lighter load! Lots of small NOS parts, bolts, nuts, and many little things in my red boxes sold well. Best $$ sales of any swap meet I have hauled T parts too, bested Hershey for sure.
Four times my projected sales target. :-)

Some photos.

Now here was some entertainment too, fellas bought a Model A chassis with matching frame and engine numbers. But only had a little 6 foot single axle trailer with plywood deck. How to load a Model A ?

First they un-hitched the little trailer and tilted it, and with helpers, pushed and lifted that chassis up and onto the trailer. Well done!

Nice, the complete chassis is up on the trailer.

Oh Oh :-(

Seems the running boards are now on top of the tires, either some burned and flat tires, or get out the wrenches and take off the running boards was the conversations going on.

Until, with a full thought of the gathered spectators, someone mentioned, lift the frame clear. But with what?

Ah.....

Remove the rear tires, and set them under the frame to clear the tires! Wonders :-)

Success, just a bit of web strapping and all is secure, they are going home with a Model A from Luray :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

I was wondering when those photos were going to surface! hahaha. Made it back 450 miles home just fine. No problems, and the trailer road great. My buddy has been towing for decades, so I pretty much just do what he tells me in these cases, and let his judgment win. My thought was, how in the heck are we going to do this!

I ended up getting that Tea Cup pan. It has the 3 rivet arms. From reading past forum info, it is the 13- early 14 design.

I also got a complete two piece driveshaft, 12 rivet rear end assembly with the correct forged radius rods and the raised number spool. That rear end is in beautiful shape. Nice and straight, very little to no rust pitting. very thin layer of paint. Still has a tight U joint, and just barely and movement on the U joint makes the axles turn in the rear. Im still going to tear it apart to inspect, but I think it may have been rebuilt. Best $400 I spent! Will work perfect on my 13.

Also found an early aluminum crank with remnants of the handle. Needs some work, but its a start!

This show is great. My second time there, and am enjoying it more than Hershey. Lots of parts at excellent 'real world prices', in a small space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:09 am:

Benjamin... Glad you had a great time. That trailer looks a little happier in the picture above when I photographed it while it was just holding the pan and mag ring! Nothing like a little engineering to get the job done. Hope you guys can make it back next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Well, I'm glad someone came up with the tire idea. Shame, looks like someone took apart a nice matching number '29 A to make a hot rod.
Looks like it was a great swap meet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

James, we will definitely be back. It's a great place, and not a bad drive. Next year I want to see the caverns, I haven't been there since I was 10 or 11. It came off alot easier then it went on!

David, it was a matching engine and frame. No one is sure exactly what type of car it was, nor did I hear what happened to the body. My buddy who bought it is thinking of building a correct A out of it with all period correct parts. I'm not sure what he is thinking about for a body. I think he has an extra roadster pickup body and bed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration