Questions about a 1915 Touring T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Questions about a 1915 Touring T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Roberts on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Hey all you really smart T owners...I am starting to assemble the body on my 1915 Roadster...Rust and corrosion seem to go together on these things constantly as I am learning..My question is about the difference between a 1915 Touring and the Roadster in regards to the radiator cowl? Are they interchangeable between the two models? I have a low cowl from a Touring Car and I was not sure if it would fit on the Roadster??? Its from 1915 also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

They should be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Mike Walker will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Roberts on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Thanks guys. The piece is very rusted but I can salvage it just was not sure if it would fit. I thought it would though but I will install it anyways once its cleaned up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

the 15 will not have a half-moon notch in the center of the top firewall opening. That was added in later years, and yes, I believe they are the same, touring & roadster. Do be aware there were different body makers, and there are some differences in construction, some have multiple pieces with rivets, some don't. (sometimes you feel like a rivet, sometimes you don't! (Remember Almond Joy & Mounds candy bar ads?)
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Now you've lost me on the wording "radiator cowl" on a 1915 T.
A cowl is, the fan shroud in modern terms and some times the radiator shell is referred to as a cowl in early times.
As for a 1915 T it has neither, just the brass radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Since the 1915 radiator is not covered, I assume the term cowl here means the body part under the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Must do Steve, but that part we call the hood former or as Henry does in the parts books a hood support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

The top panel of the body cowl (or commonly just called the cowl) should be the same for a touring or runabout. The side panels technically would be different because the panels they are attached to are different. Touring or runabout side panels should pretty much interchange however as patch panels for the forward areas. I don't know just how the touring side panels panels are made, but the runabouts mostly in 1915 had a seam hidden by the false door on the driver's side (USA cars). I think some touring cars may have had a seam there also. Touring and runabouts were seamed under the passenger door in '15. They may have used the same front panel (I do not know). I would imagine that they may have continued the seam on the passenger side because it is short and easy in manufacturing. But again, that I don't really know. I know how my spring '15 runabout is built. And I have looked at a few body panels at swap meets the past few years since I got more curious about it and seen several driver side panels without the seam where mine is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Roberts on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

The few parts that I have so far are definitely like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Low cowl and wood for it and a few odds and ends for the chassis..I am hitting a few swap meets in the coming weeks so I am hoping to find more parts. The cowl that I have does not have the notch and I was curious to know if there was any difference between the two models...If it works with my firewall that will be great and as many of you have said it should work fine...Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Roberts on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

My firewall looks like Swiss cheese right now and I am hoping to restore it in a few weeks...I will post some pictures of it soon.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration