Snowmobile or tractor conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Snowmobile or tractor conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Interesting Model T on Craigslist.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5593758916.html

The fellow says it is a snowmobile but my opinion is that it is a tractor conversion.

He mentions that he found a "Mohawk" in one of the castings. I'm thinking maybe the auxiliary transmission is a Mohawk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

What a machine. With both rear axles driven I guess this wouldn't have had tracks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

I think it is a tractor and only had tires - no tracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Interesting! I think you're right Erik about the machine actually being a tractor conversion rather than snowmobile. The main reason is that this conversion is four-wheel-drive and is built very, very stout to say the least! My point is that a snowmobile conversion did not need to be built that heavy (or "stout") like a tractor, and all that expense to make it 4wd was NOT necessary with a snowmobile, because the forces involved are not nearly as great as with a tractor, and because only two-wheel-drive is needed with a snowmobile, because the track itself delivers power from the drive axle to the non-drive axle. Again, an interesting machine for sure, and I would certainly think worthy of restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Oops! Sorry Tim & Erik,....we were typing at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:07 am:

Wow - very, very unique. Wish I lived closer. Would love to add that to my fleet. Definitely tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Can't think of the proper name, but could it be one of those "build a truck" kits?

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

I can't think of the proper name, but could it be one of those "build a truck" kits?

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

I do not think it is a "form-a-truck" conversion, but it does almost look to be a factory type of conversion. Very unique, and I "also" would love to have it. I also say it is some form of tractor. It definitely needs to be saved. Thanks for the posting Erik.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Dang I wish I wasn't already running about two years behind on the projects I've already started! Whatever that thing is, I like it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:53 am:

The ad has been removed. Did anyone save pictures for this thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Given the lack of a hitch, I have to question the "tractor " idea. I figure a back country heavy haul (logging??) truck maybe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

In one of the pictures there was a pile of tracks. I wish it had been closer to me. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

15 miles from me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

So Mike, did you pick it up? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Hi Dan, No I didn't, it is neat but lots of iron to move around, yes there was tracks with it. I got pics from him before it was moved into his yard. I believe it was a snowmobile but used as a tractor or the like in its last years because of the steel wheels on the front.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration