Old Parade Photo - Guy's In Drag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Parade Photo - Guy's In Drag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Thanks Mr. President!! These guy's can now use ANY restroom they please....Geez!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Note the rear axle moved forward and the extra weight of that drum on the back? I think that car was altered to be able to do "wheelies".
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Look at the eccentric front wheels too. Must have been quite the sight in a parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:59 am:

I can imagine the fenders flapping wildly with no lower support. It would be fun to see it in motion.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:09 am:

1915-16 car behind them has no fenders. Also the hood is installed backward. I guess they need the added cooling.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I remember seeing a T touring with the rear end moved up at a fair in Wisconsin when I was a kid.
My dad said he had to let the front end down once in a while to get oil to the front of the engine.
It seemed kile he had a brake lever for each rear wheel because it would lock up a rear wheel and spin around.
That was during the summer of '45 or. '46.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

My uncle in Iowa built a "wheelie T" for parades in Maquoketa, Iowa. It had the two hand brakes and a steel wheel caster off of a factory dolly bolted to the back of the car. He would cram in 3 big guys in the back seat, and it would do a wheelie at about a 45 degree angle whenever they leaned back and he accelerated. It would stay up there until my uncle hit both brakes to bring it down. The guys in back took the rear floorboard out, and dropped firecrackers for added effect. I sat in the front seat, and obviously, thought I was really cool. This was all in the late 50's and early 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

That could have been a "Cornyation" parade in the early days of Fiesta San Antonio (celebrated since 1891). The real queen coronation usually takes place just before Fiesta week. There's multiple parades including two major parades called the Battle of Flowers and Fiesta Flambeau. Cornyation is a fun parody on the annual festivities and just about anything goes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Ops! Sorry. I looked it up. "Cornyation" only dates back to about 1951. The photo looks older than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

It doesn't look to me that the axle is moved forward, it looks like the body is lengthened--check the length of the panels and doors. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I can't help but laugh over the idea of those wheels with the off-center hubs. Must make for
a VERY funny sight going down the road ! I am reminded of the comedian Gallagher's bicycle
with the square wheels. Funny as hell to watch him ride it around on stage !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 10:00 am:

I can't find it but some one recently posted a picture of one of those Clown Car wheels and now here's one in action!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:08 am:

You know, thinking about it, those wheels must have been a bear to make. Another thing: while not exactly common a number of pics have been posted showing these trick wheels. I wonder if they were manufactured? Barnum & Bailey's Model T Emporium ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration