Dunkirk swap meet photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Dunkirk swap meet photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Speak for themselves, I think.

But all was not lost...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Wow, such a deal on those coils.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

20+ years ago Dunkirk was one of the few places that you could actually find old stuff. Now it looks like Goodwill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, May 20, 2016 - 11:03 pm:

i think they got the desamil point on the wrong side. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:21 am:

R.V. .... You guys should have come to Luray. We all had a great time, and there were incredible deals to be found. And no baby toys....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:22 am:

RV I was also there friday what a junk flea market it turned out to be.. I never saw so many matchbox toys and junk there. A lady selling knives that cuts squash, cabbage etc. chinese tools toys and garage sale crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I have bought a coil box with 4 coils for less than one of those coils!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Yes, it's sad. Dunkirk was the first swap meet I ever attended, 30 + years ago. I found some parts for my '27 over a 3 or 4 year period but the big thing was that I learned so much by talking to the vendors. Only one vendor selling largely T parts now. I think I found T parts at a total of 7 spaces. Everyone's entitled to his or her views, but personally I'm bugged that this is the way the organizers want it, "so we attract the most people." Well, there sure were a lot of folks there, but most weren't interested in antique cars, that's certain. The trouble with the "attract the biggest crowd" view is that your swap meet quickly becomes mundane, with stuff you can find at any yard sale anywhere. So why pay admission or parking fees for that??? Granted, the meet is a charitable fundraiser, so they want the biggest crowd, but I fear that in the long run its lack of uniqueness will do it in.

That said, I tip my hat to the organizers of Luray and Chickasha for their determination to stay unique.

I still attend Dunkirk because there's always something I find that makes it interesting. This year I got two ND timers and an original 1912 hubcap for 5 bucks each, along with an April/May 1912 Ford Times.

James, we're coming next year. My brother is a member of the local AACA chapter, which puts the "swap meet" on. He was already committed this year, and I am simply too busy to get away, but Luray is on our calendars for next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

R.V. I'm sorry the Dunkirk event has gone the route that it has. We've seen that happen around here too. Promoters get off course and the events either get re-routed or fizzle out. It's maddening. But we'll be more than happy to have you at Luray next year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Dunkirk was one of the best meets around in the 70s and 80s. I'm still working off the T parts I bought there cheap because"there's no future in the T hobby in a few years after all the old guys die off."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Well I see at least they provided 55 gallon trash cans to put all of that stuff in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

dennis, that was the best deal there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Youze guys are behind the times. Crap is the new gold.

Please, ... make a note of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Many years ago this was the place that is close to me for old car parts, damn, it has been a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I used to sell there from 1973-2005 when Dick Lord ran it handed my spaces in when all the big name vendors left hemmings, old cars, mac's the lutty's chevy just to name a few the show was dying quickly.. This show just turned into a basic garage sale junk flea market, and the car parts vendors just sell the same high price junk parts.. I never seen so many vendors sell the same newish type of crap 90s - 2000's useless parts..as for the older stuff 30's-50's same old stuff they been peddling for years but a higher price. I got there friday with my friend at 10:30 and left at 12:00. we were looking for parts parts for our cars He has 4 and I have 6 cars all from 1922-1962 cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I am in the market for some stained mattresses and broken plastic childrens toys.
Looks like a great place to find them !

Can anyone tell me, what ever happened to the America I remember ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Man that's sad! Hats off to those who organize things like the pre-war event at Luray or elsewhere where they try hard to police it and keep that junk out. We host our own small swap meet here in Virginia Beach every March (this year it was move to the Aviation Museum) and we work hard to keep it automotive. We often have vendors who want to get in to sell stuff - including one year when some quick doctor wanted to set up a booth and do some spinal manipulations! I'm sure some of us may eventually need that from cranking our Ts but that kind of thing has no place in an automotive swap meet. Letting that junk in has ruined many a good old meet including big ones like Carlisle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

R.V. are you sure you were at a swap meet? A few crappy diapers and a couple rats and it could have been the city dump. We have the same thing happening at many of the Minnesota Swap Meets. One of the worst is in Grand Rapids MN each year. During their Car show /Swap Meet you're able to buy anything but car parts. St Cloud's has historically been a good meet but we're starting to see more and more colored glass and pot holders. Even the show in Little Falls MN that has a huge city-wide junk sale the same time as their annual car show is starting to have a few garbage dealers selling crap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:53 am:

It's hard to get good garbage these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

RV-
Unless you have a project with a specific need, I might be interested in your 1912 hubcap you found at Dunkirk. Contact me directly if so.

: ^ )

-Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration