Spark plug gap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark plug gap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

i All, I just bought a set of NOS Champion "X" A-25 Spark Plugs to replace my aftermarkets. I was curious as to the best gap for these plugs if you can help.
Thank you...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

I always use a thin dime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Some like .025 and others like .030. I think any where in between will work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Dave, opinions vary on this subject. I tried them right out of the box at .025 and my car ran lousy, and when i opened them up to .030 it ran great. Try them out at .025 and see what your engine likes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Thank you all for the advice, I'll try both gaps and see how she does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

If you use a dime, it must be a genuine silver dime coined between 1908 and 1927. :-)

Otherwise use a feeler gauge.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

My rule for distributor points and spark plugs was you set the point gap with a thin dime and spark plug gap with a new dime. With modern coinage and the demise of silver coinage thin dimes are really hard to come by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Somewhere between .025 to .030 or thereabouts.
Its kind of like a carb setting. Every T is not exactly alike when it comes to these settings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:09 am:

If you look at the wax paper that your spark plug is wrapped in you will see that Champion recommends .025" gap setting. This has always worked flawlessly for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:16 am:

I guess I need to check my gaps. I have never messed with the plugs and keep blaming the timer, the coils, the carb and mixture setting for the awful running engine at high speeds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

anybody got change for a dollar..... i need to gap my plugs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Bob - Just keep your dollar$ and "plug your gaps!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration