TT CENTENARY

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT CENTENARY
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:18 am:

YOUR CONSIDERED OPINION TO WHEN WE SHOULD CELEBRATE THE CENTENARY OF THE TT? IS IT 1917 OR 1918? IN MANY WAYS THE TT PROVIDED JUST AS BIG A BONUS FOR THE POPULACE AS DID THE T & OR THE FORDSON TRACTOR.WHEN SHOULD WE GET EXCITED & GET INTO PARTY MOOD AGAIN? YES I KNOW ANY TIME IS PARTY TIME IN A MODEL T OR TT OR A FORDSON FOR THAT MATTER.
DOUG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 07:37 am:

The centennial celebration for the Model T was based on MODEL year 1908.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:21 am:

That should be calendar year 1908. The 1909 model year cars began production late in 1908, hence that choice for the Centennial celebration. The first TT trucks were 1918 model year vehicles, which began production late in 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:02 am:

According to Bruce McCalleys book, "Model T Ford, The Car That Changed the World", page 462, there were 3 TTs produced in the 1917 model year. Since there were only 3, it seems reasonable to think they were built late in the model year, probably in July 1917. Then production of the 1918 year model continued in August 1 1917.

I know I'm making some assumptions, but it seems reasonable, to me at least, that TTs will hit the century mark in late July, 2017.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

I'M HAPPY TO GO WITH 1917 SO I DON'T HAVE TO WAIT ANY LONGER. AS LONG AS 1 WAS MADE IN 17 THEN 2017 IS PARTY TIME. THERE ARE SEVERAL TT's IN OUR AREA SO I FEEL OBLIGED TO PUT ON A DO. IT LOOKS LIKE DICK IS PLANNING TO STAY AT THE FRONT WITH A 5:1 I WILL JUST POKE ALONG AND BOIL THE BILLY FOR ALL WHO JOIN US IN JULY 2017.
DOUG.
PS THE MOUNTAIN TOP IN ALLORA SOUNDS LIKE THE SPOT TO PARTY BREAKY'S ON ABOUT 9AM,
DOUG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Doug, Who gets to swing the billy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

WAYNE, YOU ARE VERY WELCOME TO COME & SWING THE BILLY A FULL 360 DEGREES. BEST WAY TO MAKE TEA OPEN FIRE GUM TREE SCENT BLACK TEA DAMPER COOKED IN THE HOT COALS THEN COVERED IN COCKY'S JOY. BACON SNAGS EGGS COME & JOIN US.
DOUG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:45 am:

That sounds like so much fun! I really wish I could. I do drink tea quite a lot! Usually just Lipton (Orange Pekoe & Black or just Black). But I am usually interested in trying other kinds of tea.
I do look forward to reading reports after your celebration. I hope you have a wonderful time!
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Pakeman on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:22 am:

Doug, should Father Christmas deem that Dick has been good enough he may well find a set in his stocking. In which case there may be a "fair" condition 5.1 gear set available.
We know there are a few members currently working on TT's and your plans for Centenary celebrations may be just what is needed as an incentive to complete those projects in time. Yet others may dust off the cobwebs in readiness, who knows, but here's hoping.
See you on top of Allora Mountain . . Elise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:20 am:

Bring it on Doug and Co,
I will be there with Henry Samuel, Life willing.
N.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Contemporary news may help to date the TT introduction.

Seems word leaked to the auto industry in April 1917 that Ford was to make the 'Clydesdale' of trucks.

So this short tidbit was in Motor Age, May 1917

Motor Age, May 31 , 1917

And this bigger report, a whole page in The Automobile and Automotive Industries, July 26, 1917.

So Ford commenced shipping TT's to dealers on July 26, 1917, good date to celebrate. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

And another to use the July 26, 1917 date, seems the information of shipments to branches was made to the news this date.

Motor Age July 26, 1917

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration