1922 rear axle question....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1922 rear axle question....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Rebuilding the Centerdoor rear end. This came as a surprise to me. I haven't seen this oil guide on the 26's or 27's...educate me if its possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Those springs gather the oil and return it to center as you drive. They work great. Nice accessory, it really prevents leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:04 am:

You won't find it in the Ford parts book. It's an aftermarket accessory meant to pull straying rear axle oil back toward the center. I haven't used it, but I've read that it actually works. I believe the giant felts were also an aftermarket item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Do you know if this spring is mounted or keyed on the axle? I can't seem to get this thing off to remove the inner bearings.. Do you collapse it to remove it? Thanks for your response's Royce and Steve..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Also there is just the one. The other side has nothing.. Got to love these little mysteries that pop up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:33 am:

They are like a Chinese handcuff, You compress it to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Don:

They just slide onto the axle but at one end where the spring doubles up they are very snug and tight. Sometimes they can be a b*tch to remove if they have worn a groove in the axle.

Here are a couple NOS examples so you know what you are dealing with:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Bet it was on the drivers side. The ring gear puts more lube in the tube ( :-) ) on that side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Well its off the axle. I took a small hammer and started tapping it off. It took a while but no harm to either. And it was rather tight the whole length of the axle. No scars from it though. Mark it was on the passenger side. Also had some 3/8" thick outer felt seals. Original babbit thrust bearings. One had a 1" chunk missing the other was complete. I will be selling those if anybody is interested .. I like the looks of the bronze...Thanks everybody !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I was guessing the drivers side because it's more prevalent to leaking. I had 4 felts crammed in mine on that side and it still leaked. Fixed that with new modern inner seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Put them back in but make sure you put the twist right for forward direction.
Buddy put his in wrong and was a real mess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Just wondering if they are necessary, I will be going with the modern inner and outer seals..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

They are called Woodworth springs. I have them in my coupe. My Grandfather installed them back in the 50s if I'm not mistaken. In any event, they really do work, so put them back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Don,

They weren't in my '22 Coupes rear axle so I don't believe they are necessary. I also put the modern inner and outer seals in when I rebuilt my '22's rear assembly and everything is fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration