Boyce moto-meter on a flip top cap question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Boyce moto-meter on a flip top cap question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

I have seen these on model T Fords but nothing here to look at, this I think locks on somehow but do not know how, no threads inside but has tabs on bottom to bend over, anyone know about these? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Ones that I have have an insert with threads. There were a variety of inserts to fit different makes of autos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

The tabs secured this "fitzall" cap to the make-specific insert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

He's asking if the cap is threaded, not how the Motometer is attached.

There are no threads.

The ends of the wire handle clip under the lip of of the radiator neck. You then bend the tabs under the the lip of the neck to prevent the cap from being stolen.

The tabs can break off if the cap is ever completely removed from the neck. That's why many used ones have broken tabs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

Bob, Check Here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/116084.html

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Bob, that is a Boyce model made just for Fords. There was no insert, it's complete as is.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Thank you guys, great to know that, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Robert, the cap is complete. I have had several of them that were NOS. They were prone to have "hairline stress cracks" from the brass probably not being "annealed" after forming. To install it you remove the "bail". There is supposed to be a thin gasket inside the cap that sits on top of the radiator neck and seals the cap to the radiator. You set the cap and gasket on top of the radiator neck and then "re-install the "bail" The "bail and gasket" are what secures the cap to the radiator. The tabs could be bent over for the final fit and security. here is another ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Thank you,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

A dozen years ago I picked one up off ebay, it was INS as the nickel and the tabs are perfect. Got it at a fair price of 125 today it seams a bit low but was ok then. I have nit yet decided what car to pot it on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration