My first post to this forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My first post to this forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Hi my name is Gary. I have a 1927 Tudor I bought about a year ago. I've been reading these posts for some time but finally decided to join the discussion. I've been away from the hobby for quite awhile (Family, Work etc.) but now have an empty nest and so want to become more active.

I live in Kansas City, but I used to live in Dallas and worked at P-M Auto parts where we did antique engine machine work almost exclusively. I line bored more Model A engines than I can remember. Bored and sleeved cylinders too. I knew Royce's dad back then and was a member of the Dallas Model A club for a little while.

I would be interested in meeting up with any Model T enthusiasts in the KC area or Missouri for that matter.

I did restore the engine and transmission of a 1926 coupe owned by a friend back in the early 80's. I was motivated by the intense desire to learn to drive a Model T. On my first trip around the block I almost wrecked it. Not due to a lack of knowledge of operation. I had a very good instructor. No, everything, and I mean everything in the front end was either completely worn out or loose. So that lead to another job. Once complete I drove it around Dallas quite a bit before handing it back to the owner.

As I peruse this forum and read about the variety of problems a T can have, I can't believe my efforts turned out as well as they did given the lack of information (pre-internet of course) available to me at that time.

Oh well, look for lots of questions from me in the near future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Gary, Welcome aboard! I too rebuilt most of my Model A back in 1988 before the Internet with one parts catalog and one book checked out from the library. The Internet makes it much easier and as you know there is a wealth of knowledge here. Now, If I could only find out what type of oil to use in a Model T all would be well..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Welcome from a lurker in Southwest Mo. This forum will provide a lot of knowledge to help in any of your problems. It is fun to read their comments. I have been following for about a year and have followed a lot of their advice without becoming much involved because of my lack of knowledge, but I think I am learning. I am about ready to put my engine back together when it gets back from the machine shop for my 26 TT. Allen Brintnall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Gary, congratulations on the 27 and welcome to the forum. I find most all of the post to be informative and the members to be very knowledgeable. I wouldn't have been able to buy a model T without the information of the other members. There are no model T clubs in my area so i needed to be able to make the cars necessary repairs myself. I feel confident most of the repairs are not to bad so far. Both of my model T s have good motors and trans, all the rest is just maintenance that should have been done many years ago on my 26 rpu for sure. Enjoy the forum. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Allen, are you close to Springfield or Joplin? I would love to see your TT.

I often see on this forum serial numbers decoded to an actual day of production. The serial number of my 27 Tudor is 14,951,639. Can the particular plant which produced it be determined too? I was told by the seller their family was the second owners and the car had been in north central Missouri since new. That might suggest it was produced in Kansas City.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Gary, welcome to the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Engine 14951639 was one of 4,735 engines assembled on May 10, 1927. Have you checked the passenger frame rail under the floor boards? If yours is the original engine, that same number will be stamped into the frame rail.

Not sure how to determine where your car was assembled, perhaps others can chime in? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Thank you Mark. I should have said that was the number on the title. I will need to wire brush the engine number to be able to confirm if it is original or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Welcome to the addiction Gary. Great folks found here on the FORUM and lots of help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Go one step at a time. Buy a copy of the Ford Service book. That is all you will ever need, besides this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Welcome.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Welcome aboard! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Greetings Gary! Model T's are popular in my view (!and a lot of others I bet!) because of the availability of parts.
Its a poor mans antique car that a guy can restore in his garage without a large well equipped shop with thousands of dollars of equipment.
As others have already stated buy yourself a T service manual and study it. It helps a lot along with the other publications the MTFCA has for the different aspects of the car.
Good luck and have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Gary: I am in the Joplin area. Would be glad for you to see it. I have parts and pieces everywhere. Allen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Alan, when I first started to get interested in antique cars (decades ago), I was discouraged from getting a model T because everyone said they were "too slow". I regret that I followed that advice. However a TT is even slower (25-30 MPH top speed?) so what does the typical TT owner do with their trucks? Do TT owners get to participate on tours? Are they parade only?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Sorry Allen (not Alan), my spelling suffers late at night:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Bienvenue and Welcome. You will find very cool people here :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:58 am:

Gary, there seems to be a shortage of photos, but some folks use their TT's for work. That's what I intend to do with my TT project. If I want to go whizzing down the road at a breathtaking 30 mph I drive a Flivver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Welcome Gary. I started with my runabout a year ago. The folks here are a great help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Gary: My TT has not run in 30 years, but always under cover or in a garage. I just didn't have the time to work on it. So, I have just about waited to long to get the project going, but we are working on it slowly. What I intend to do with it, I am not sure. Probably a parade or car show now and then. I think I want to check out the Tulsa Model T club, they seem very active and that is only two hours away, so how I will use it remains to be seen. Allen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:45 am:

Gary, the branch assembly plant can sometimes be seen on a 26/27, especially if it's a closed car like your Tudor. Look for any stamping on the subframe crossmember at the front seats - if there is, it usually starts with two letters where "HP" stands for Highland Park etc.
If you have original floorboards, they are also sometimes stamped with the assembly plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:06 am:

Gary, nice to hear from you. We live in Mound City MO., just about an hour from you in NW. MO. We get down that way once in awhile, we have two sons and their families there. We almost always stop in Platte City and get a hotdog at the Quick Trip :-). We have a mostly original '25 Coupe and '23 TT chassis (check out my profile). PM me when you get a chance. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:10 am:

Gary - "HI" from California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Ok, the rain finally let up for some outside pics as requested. I did crawl under and checked the case of the Warford and it is aluminum. Are aluminum case Warfords more desirable?27 Tudor
27 TTudor27 Tudor 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Gary,

Welcome aboard!

There are lots of things to learn. Some are important -- please see the safety items at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/576808.html The second entry can save you the cost of learning some known safety issues first hand that the T has. It is a faithful car, but like a horse there are some things you shouldn't do to it. For example you don't run up behind a horse and you shouldn't crank a T with the spark way advanced.

Other things are not as important. For example Mark shared, " Engine 14951639 was one of 4,735 engines assembled on May 10, 1927." Actually it was one of 4,735 engine serial numbers included on the May 10, 1927 engine assembly log. If the engine was assembled at the River Rouge plant, it would have actually been assembled that day. But if it was assembled at one of the branch plants, then it would have almost certainly been assembled at a later date. With Model T car production stopping in May 1927 at the main plant -- you likely have one of the newest Model Ts. [Note Ton Truck production continued at the main Highland Park plant and car and Ton Truck production continued at the Branch Plants until parts that had been shipped to them were used up (ref page 536 Bruce McCalley's book "Model T Ford.")

Other things can be "that's interesting." For example based on the engine serial number you listed, assuming it was the one in the car originally then it would have been assembled in calendar year 1927. And on page 472 of Bruce's book he has the calendar year production figures listed for 1927. There were 64,146 Tudors produced in 1927. Of those only 5,427 Tudors were produced at the main Highland Park Plant with the others being assembled at the 31 or so Branch Plants scattered around the country.

With the very late assembly date of your car there is a better chance that your car has a Branch Assembly date code stamped on it. When the Model A production started up -- most of the branches were stamping the cars. A few of the branches started stamping the cars they assembled while they were still producing the Model T. Please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/606793.html?1461808340 for more information on that and where to look. If you find anything, please let us know.

For where to look for your engine serial number that would have been stamped onto your car's frame please see the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/102644.html basically lift up the front floor board and on the top side of the frame sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right frame rail near the emergency brake cross shaft you should see a number. That is the number of the engine that was assembled with the frame originally. The engines were already numbered as they were numbered when they were assembled.

See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/639155.html for an explanation of why the date the engine was assembled for any 1926-27 USA Ford is not the date the car was assembled.

Don't forget to check out which chapter is close to you. They are listed at: http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and also at: http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15

Finally please take a look at the brackets that bolt your cars firewall to the frame. Do they have the notch as shown below (Thank you Larry (original) Smith for posting those.)

Or is it a straight edge next to the dash as shown on the photo Dale L. Myers posted of his Oct 1925 produced car at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/379321.html and is shown below:

That one may not post -- if it doesn't I'll put it in the next post.

Again welcome to the forum.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Jungmeyer on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Hey Gary! I'm in Leawood and we have a local MTFCA club - www.kcchuggers.com I just started restoring my TT and joined the club last December. Call me at 620-253-1345 to discuss further. Brandon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 02:49 am:

Brandon, how are the "Chuggers" doing? I know that several of them have passed in the last several years. Hope there are a enough "T" nuts to keep the club going. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:13 am:

Nice looking car Gary, needs a bit here and there but overall quite nice, should be lots of fun.

If I might ask, what is that toggle switch that is hanging down below you switch panel for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Hi Martin.

It's a three position (battery, off, mag) switch the previous owner installed to bypass the faulty ignition switch. I'll be looking to source one in the near future. Actually this car needs a complete wiring harness too so I'll probably do both at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Hi Gary from SoCal. Yes those Alum Warfords are the greatest. It is important to have some good outside brakes with any aux tranny in case it gets into netural when your trying to stop.

I've met some guys there on tour near Branson with TT's and with a high speed ring gear rear end and / or a Warford they easily could run with the other tour cars. Maybe some will chime in here?

Nice to see you post

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration