Visiting the Geezer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Visiting the Geezer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Andrew Benoit is visiting the USA and dropped in here today for a grand tour of the junk pile. There was heavy rain for awhile, but it let up enough for us to go for a two-mile ride in the roadster. It was rather wet part of the way, but the car needed a wash anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Glad you both had a good time! I guess that rain will probably arrive here in the St. Louis area tomorrow. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Where is Andrew from?
How long is he in the USA?
Where is he headed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Bad thing to call us seasoned gents Geesers you whipper snapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

"Seasoned Gents"? From this day forward, let it be known, there are no more "Geezers". We shall be known as "Seasoned Gents"! We'll command respect where ever we may go. Our Right to supremacy will overshadow the "war on Women", and the youth of our nation will genuflect as we pass by. Once again we'll stand above the little people in the world and cast our glorious light onto their presence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Michael, you mean it hasn't been that way all along?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

In Steve's case, we're probably safe because he calls himself a geezer. :-)

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Dennis, he's from Oz. Don't know how long he's in the USA. When he left here he was headed for Model T Haven, then possibly a barbecue joint in Sedan. Eventually, el Pueblo de Nuestra Seņora la Reina de Los Angeles (L.A.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Steve, thank you for showing me your setup. It was a shame it rained so much.

Dennis, I'm staying in Independence, KS for 2 nights and then down to Tulsa for a night and back to Los Angeles on Thursday. I'll fly back to Sydney on the weekend.

The trip is 2 weeks total. I caught up with Dean Yoder last week and hope to catch up with Mike Bender in Tulsa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

"Seasoned Gent" sounds a little "foofy" to me. I'll stick with hard-earned titles like
"geezer" and "curmudgeon". Thanks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

One must always have a souvenir, photo sitting with Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:13 am:

my brother and I each refer to the other as an old fart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I plan to visit that geezer the next time I visit my relatives in Belle Plaine, KS. Another geezer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Wondering if you're a geezer? Take the test! :-)

http://www.harley-geezers.com/geezer.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Mark - Apparently,......I'm a "Senior Geezer"! I remember those, and many more! Actually, to me, that black rotary dial type telephone looks like one of the more "modern" type. I learned how to make a telephone call on a "candlestick" type telephone! A fun "test" Mark, but it sure does make me feel old,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Hmm, I knew them all, except the last one; Marlin Perkins, although his picture looks familiar.
Plop,plop, fizz, fizz, Oh what a relief it is--I think I need some now! And "A little Dab'll do ya"--heck I don't even have much of a little dab of hair left to need any!
Oh, they forgot Flash Cubes!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

David - Marlin Perkins,....."Zoo Parade". He was a very good commentator and Zoo Parade was a pretty good show in it's day that I believe ran for quite a long time,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

He also hosted Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" nature show on TV. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

He was also the Director of the Saint Louis Zoo for a number of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

David,...you reminded me of something else. Remember what those flash bulbs looked like after they "flashed"? They turned all white and bubbly and nasty looking. My Dad, sometimes after taking a photo with his Argus C3 for 35mm slides, sometimes if the photo was of a group of people, he'd turn around and put in a new flash bulb, stick the expired flash bulb in his nose and then turn back to the group and say,......"anyone got a handkerchief I could borrow?" Then he'd take a second picture that was sure to show everybody smiling & laughing. Pretty "corny", but that second picture of the group was "ALWAYS" a good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Actually David, Mark's "geezer test" showed flash bulbs,.....you mentioned "flash cubes". Flash cubes was a Kodak thing that came out later. If I remember right, the flash cube would turn 90 degrees with each photo shot and you'd get four flashes out of them. Yeah,......I'm an ol' geezer alright,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Ah, Wild Kingdom!! NO wonder he looked familiar!
Harold, yes, it did show flash BULB, maybe Flash Cubes are too new? Cubes didn't need batteries, and you got 4 shots with one. When I lived in the Dorms, if some kids made noise outside (coming back from a party drunk, I would toss one out my third-floor window with one of those tower extenders on it, when it hit the ground, "FLASH!" was usually enough to get them to move on (I was a bit older than the other kids and had 8 am classes, so I valued my sleep--besides, it was FUN!!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I remember all of those things! And some things even earlier. I clearly remember when a Hershey bar was four cents. Marshmallows were sold in a cardboard box. And Lassie belonged to a boy named Jeff. I have been a curmudgeon all my life, but somehow I think I turned into a geezer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Out of the blue of the Western sky comes "Sky King"!
The Songbird.
And "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Michael, Uh, Homeland Security?? :-)
I couldn't resist!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:30 am:

I'm with Wayne, obviously a prewar model. Some of the stuff on that page is too modern. I watched the real Beany and Cecil (Daws Butler and Stan Freberg) before they became a cartoon. It was supposed to be a kids' show, but the parents watched because a lot of the gags were for them. "Bad night, everybody."

And yes, Lassie lived with Jeff (Tommy Rettig) and his family. Timmy (Jon Provost) came later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:14 am:

If you were to compile a list of top ten Model T things to do or see in the US, a visit to Steve "Geezer" Jelf would surely be one of them. Seems a great place to soak up a bit of good old fashioned Model T lifestyle. I hope to visit him next time I'm in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Top ten? I have my doubts about that. :-) But yes, do drop in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:32 am:

I didn't think I was a Geezer...Then my wife reminded me that I have a Grafonola 2 Brownie Cameras an aluminium christmas tree and a sky king lunch box in the attic! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I remember the "Do Drop Inn"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Maybe he meant to say the "Dude Drop Inn ?" :-)

I had people telling me I was an "old soul" when I was still a kid. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

How about this----

Drive by Steve's place in a Model T a couple times without stopping.

He will loose sleep trying to figure out how he missed a Model T that was in his neighborhood! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Steve,
I had the pleasure of actually meeting the late Daws Butler back in the late '80s.

A friend of mine was friends with Mr. Butler and he took me with him to visit Mr. Butler at his home near Fairfax and Melrose in Hollywood.

He had converted his garage into a well-equipped recording studio and I was amazed at the story he told us about the sound-proof door that led into the mixing room.

As it turned out, a local mom-and-pop grocery store had gone out of business years before and he purchased the door from the walk in refrigerator to use for the "booth".

It was a rare and amazing chance to sit across from him, and listen to the voices I was all too familiar with from my childhood come from a human and not a speaker on a television set.

He was a kind and very funny man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

I loved Beany and Cecil! I thought it was the best of all the modern animated cartoons. I did see the puppet show version earlier, and was very excited to hear that it was coming back to television. Boy was I mad that it turned out to be a cartoon! But I gave it a chance, and decided I liked it anyway. (I still probably would have liked the old version better.) Unfortunately, they did not produce it for very long, again. Remember occasional characters on the show? Cora the Clinging Vine, and Robot Ants?
(Hoo-Boy! get me started again!) (Time for me to hide under a blanket and suck my thumb.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Mike Spaziano, I knew Daws in the 70's, he would come into our station for coffee at 5am. Asked him why he was up so early. If he was auditioning he'd get up real early to help get his voice warmed up. He had more voices than any other actor and his regular voice was very close to Capn Crunch that he did, He was also huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear. He lived down the street in BHills at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

I have not had the chance to visit Steve, but following his site for the last several years is almost as good!

It will be an epic day to see the last of the old boards replaced - well done Steve, the house has come up great. Even my wife likes to keep up with where the restoration is up to :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

Kind of on hold for now due to wet weather and being busy, busy, busy on other chores. With any luck that last upstairs wall will be done before August. Then comes the inside rebuilding.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration