Carburetor leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carburetor leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

What causes an NH carburetor to leak?
Turned the 'potato' to on and gas flowed freely to the carburetor.
The gas also freely flowed out from the bottom of the carburetor.
Am a newbie.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Some possibilities:

1 Holes rusted through the bowl (yes, I've seen this);

2 Leaky valve at the bottom;

3 Said valve open;

4 Valve gasket bad or missing;

5 Top bowl gasket bad or missing.

It could be any or all of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

hole in the float

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

It might have a Grouse Jet instead of a needle and seat. They have been known to stick open or closed. If stuck open they will leak profusely.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Are you sure it is out of the bottom? I was going to say a stuck float and/or needle and seat. I know when mine got stuck it poured gas out of the carb when the bowl got full. Of course then it travels to the bottom of the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Jay
There are several model t guys around u that can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I've seen holes in float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

I had a needle and seat with a little trash in it and gas was running out by the choke flap. Took it apart cleaned it all and it works fine now. Just my experience with model A and T carbs. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Thank you all for your tips.
I'll remove the carburetor and will check.
Hopefully I'll find the cause.
At the very least I can see and learn the carburetor parts.
How do I find other Model T'rs near Fort Wayne Indiana?
I could certainly use their guidance.
Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Take a look here http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#in and here http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15#I N

The MTFCI contacts tend to be old people who only communicate by snail mail, but you may get lucky and find help there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:40 am:

There is one more thing that can (and does) happen that I don't think was mentioned,....unless I missed it:

Depending on what type fuel line is used and how it's attached to the carburetor, sometimes over tightening can cause a tiny hairline crack in the carburetor casting right at the fuel inlet that's hard to see, especially if the crack might have occurred on the under side. Perhaps one more thing to check,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Jay, turn the gas on to the carburetor and gently tap on the bowl of the carburetor. If it eventually stops leaking that is a sure indication the float is sticking open due to a stuck float needle valve.
My Coupe does the same thing when it sits up a long while.
I need to replace the needle valve on mine. I just haven't done it yet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Many thanks again for your replies and tips.
lol lol about the old timers at the MTFCI...I am an old timer too and a newbie T owner but not an MTFCI member...at least not yet...birds of a feather have to stick together lol lol

Because it is the easiest and simplest, I'll try tapping the bowl first and hopefully a stuck float is the culprit. The T has been sitting idle for almost a year since I've acquired it. Don't know how long it has been sitting idle before I got it, probably over two to three years. I did purge the old gas and refreshed with new gas a month ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Jay - I don't know how all of us except John Kuehn missed that one! A stuck float needle valve is a very, VERY common problem that is nearly always "fixed" immediately just as John describes. A very light "tap" with something metal nearly always does it,...just don't tap too hard.

I'm guessing that John Kuehn's suggestion will fix your problem, and I'm also guessing that it will happen again. When a float needle valve sticks once, it'll usually stick again every once in awhile. I've known guys (besides me) to have it happen so regularly that they keep something metal, like a small wrench or pair of pliers laying on the front seat floor,..... "just in case".

Let us know what happens Jay,........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

another thing that can happen is if the bowl is empty, when you turn on the gas, it develops enough momentum filling the empty bowl that the needle valve can't close. When a car has been sitting a long time, I turn on the gas, count to 5, turn it off, then turn it back on again.
Tapping the carb is an old "fix", even on the modern Model A; I remember on one outing years ago there was this VERY nice roadster by the side of the road with the owner looking forlorn. Asked him what was wrong, "Carburetor is flooding over!" I said, "Rap with a stick of wood, that should fix it." He looked at me as if I was crazy, but that night at the tour stop he came up to me and said, "THAT FIXED IT!! Thank you!!" At the time I was in my early 30s and some folks thought I was just a know-nothing newbie; but I'd been driving my Model A since High School days ( I started restoring it in 8th grade).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Success.....took a 12" long wooden dowel, placed it on the carburetor and lightly tapped the dowel with a small hammer. Kept my fingers crossed and turned on the 'potato'....after a few minutes of waiting, a leak did not happen.

Thank you so much for the learning experience.

I have another dilemma regarding the dash switch position and will post again for help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:21 am:

I hope yer ignition switch ain't leaking gas too. If it is - you've got bigger problems!

Regards,
Garnet

(Congratulations on fixing yer carb problem Jay)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Hey Jay! Glad you found out about the tapping the bowl trick.

That's the first simple thing to do when a carb is leaking after sitting for a while.

Its usually what happens with any older tractors or engines that have the older type carbs. Not just Model T's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration