Spark plug adapters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spark plug adapters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Why does my 26 T have adapters that the spark plug screws into? The plugs screw into what looks like a adapter but i dont know why??? Was going to ask before. I am still new to model T s. Thanks for the info in advance! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

The stock Model T plug uses 1/2 inch NPT pipe thread. The adapters are available for those who want to run modern 14mm plugs in their Model T heads.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/14MM-AD.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Mark, do the newer style plugs function any better the the two piece plugs? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I haven't tried the adapters with modern plugs, so I can't say. I currently run Edison #14 1/2 inch NPT plugs in my 1924 and am happy with them. Can others comment on their experiences?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Where is anyone buying the d originals ebay and swap meets? I would prefer the original looking plugs. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

I use adaptors in aluminium heads so that the 1/2" pipe thread in the heads is not compromised with repeated removal and replacement of plugs. Just playing safe. It also makes a wider range of plugs available.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

The answers are yes, yes, and yes. That's eBay, swap meets, and auctions. Old plugs typically are $2 to $7. The most common and popular are Champion X, but there are many others. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/644598.html?1464032597

There are also new plugs for Model T engines. Champion still makes the X plugs, which cost many times what the old ones will cost you (often north of $30 each). Modern plugs much less costly are Autolite 3095 and Motorcraft F-11. I'm currently trying the Autolites, and so far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Steve, thanks I didn't have any idea of the choices other than the champion x. I would like to use something more affordable while I am doing more work than driving. I like the look of the champions old style plug. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

I Like the Motorcraft T plugs. They seem to work fine for me. So for so good and they are a Ford product!
You can buy 8 or so of the Autolite or Motorcraft plugs for what you may have to pay for 1 new Champion X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Having a spare adapter around is also handy if you use a modern compression tester/gauge which has fittings for the more modern sized spark plugs....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Tim
It's possible that the adapters have been fitted because of crook original threads in the head, something to watch for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

The problem I had with automate and motorcraft is they foul out easily.
My last T I put appox 8k mile on it around town and trips and never had a plug out with X's.
Adapters are good and I have run them. But I used a Bosch 409 plug this had a good heat range and long reach but never looked right
Been working on trying get a match set of 4 old plugs for the current T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

I'm running the Motorcraft F-11's in mine for 4yrs now and pulled them a couple of days ago and they look just like they did when I put them in. I'm guessing I put about 3,000mi a year on them, still going great, Don.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration