Tow vehicle for my '21 Touring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tow vehicle for my '21 Touring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Hello, time to move my touring car from where it's been stored to my barn about 150 miles away. Plan to use my 1984 F150 short bed with 5.0 motor an auto trans. Good low mileage truck in good working condition and safe. Will pull a U-haul or similar car trailer with T loaded up. Any suggestions as to suitability of the F150 for this job? Any precautions or advice? Pretty hands-on so can likely correct any problems on the road but want to avoid if possible. Never towed anything with the truck, just keep it around for dump runs, etc. Obviously on a budget otherwise I'd hire professional tow company to transport. Thanks for any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Gerrit
I would really recommend brakes on the trailer. Probably a "legal " requirement most places and definitely safer. Be sure to load with sufficient tongue weight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

A few things:

1. Be sure everything in the T is secure and not subject to being blown free. This can include the floorboards, the top, seat cushions, and so on.

2. Les is right about tongue weight. Too little is very dangerous, as is too much. Do the best you can to get the correct balance.

3. Keep your speed down, particularly until you get the feel of the load. You only have 150 mills to go loaded. So what if it takes an extra 30 minutes?

4. If you do use an open trailer be alert to dummies. Other drivers will honk their horn and scare the heck out of you, get along side and try to get your attention for a photo, and all manner of other stupid behavior.

Good luck and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Thanks for both suggestions--tongue weight and getting loose stuff secured. I hadn't thought about that. I know the seat cushions will become airborne if I don't take precautions. I'll make sure trailer has its own brakes, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

If you rent a U-Hall trailer, make sure it has surge brakes. I think most do. Make sure you have good tie down straps. Your P/U should do fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

Les V, thanks I'll ask about the brakes. Plan to use robust tie-downs, not the cheap ones come several in a pack, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Staying slow and steady a and easy on the brakes. I pulled 100k miles with a 85 ford f150. It's plenty capable of making a trip like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

I brought this T home from Arizona on a U-Haul trailer. No trouble at all. I did observe a self-imposed 55 mph speed limit because the suburban is such a prodigious gas hog.

It was a good thing I used my own straps to tie the car down. The U-Haul wheel nets were useless on a T. No matter how tight I fastened them, they soon fell off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 23, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Why, a TT, what else ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:18 am:

on UHAUL trailers, simply use duct tape to keep straps in place...first tape goes inside out (non-sticky toward wheel) and several normal wraps after that...no problem. Several trips from FL to WY and all is good...,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Since U-Haul will not list a model "T" in their list of permissible things to haul on their trailer be prepared have the approximate weight of the car (2500 lbs) and the length and they may want to inspect your hitch and your lighting system (good things) Just be prepared to answer questions for the U-Haul agent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:21 am:

G.R., you beat me to it.

My buddy bought a Dodge Power Wagon on eBay, and our plan was to road trip from North Carolina to New York, load it up, and bring it back in one weekend. Everything about the plan worked out great, until we tried to rent a trailer. The only U-Haul place we could find wouldn't rent us the trailer because the Power Wagon wasn't in their system. We told him it weighs about the same as a Dakota, but that wasn't enough. He refused to rent us the trailer because he didn't have that particular vehicle in the system. Didn't even bother looking at my 2008 Silverado with the 5.3L to see if it would pull the trailer Just went by the computer and refused to rent a trailer to us. So we went back to base empty handed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Steve, I love your suburban, is awesome and he look so cool! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Actually, U-Haul absolutely lists Model T's as a permissible vehicle to be towed. Just did it twice in the last 6 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

Scott never hurts to be prepared, My one experience was helping a buddy haul one from some little town near Dothan Al, the agent there had to look it up in a book then couldn't find it so he had to make a phone call. It did get approved when we showed him a picture of the car (he called it a model A and that was in his book) we just shut up and rented the trailer! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

G.R.,

Knowing when to just shut up is an extremely valuable tool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Rented a U haul trailer in Chickasha, Ok. in 2009 no questions asked. Didn't like the wheel nets. pulled it to central Florida; 1000 miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:49 am:

Hi Richard

I have found that having the tires really inflated to max is the "secret" to keeping things together on a U-Haul. My first trip with a car with under inflated tires had the car all over the trailer for the first two days...inflated to max and the thing sat rock-solid for the remainder of the trip...and yes, it's too bad the nets aren't a little bit bigger.

G.R.

thinking back, I do recall having your problem one time in TN about 10 years ago and we did the same thing (called it an "A"). The local guy was using a book to look up the car. When they use their national (internet) system now, the "T" comes up now, so maybe things have changed, or the small outfits don't use the corporate system sometimes...who knows?

regards to all...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 06:15 am:

I think my only concern might be towing with a short wheel base truck. A couple of my friends have short wheel base trucks and I notice they seem to "wander" more towing than longer wheel base trucks. Finding that comfortable speed will just be a matter experimenting. Don't forget to remove or tie down securely everything that can blow out. Its a hassle removing all those items only to put them back in at your destination. But it beats back-tracking and having to pick them up along the highway if they are still in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By T Thompson on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Just rented a Uhaul auto trailer last Thursday-Monday for a trip from NY to CT.

I had no issues...Model T showed up as an option on Uhaul website. Based on my forum search, I did purchase a set of 3k straps form amazon as the nets did not fit (as everyone here has mentioned).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Hey guys -- He is talking about a 150 mile trip not a trip to the moon!

All the recommendations are good guidelines but it is not rocket science or brain surgery.
No loose items, good tie downs, and slow is the way to go.
Don't overthink it!

An F150 will easily handle a Model T - The short bed actually makes it easier.
Try backing up a short trailer with a long pickup and you'll see what I mean! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Hello again and thnx for all the valuable input and advice. Figured it was best check in here so I'm not missing something obvious when I hit the road. As I mentioned it's a short trip and I have option of taking secondary roads or the interstate if truck and trailer handling ok. I appreciate the great comments and pics--happy motoring to all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Cataldo, Rhode Island on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:27 am:

The trailer probably weighs more than the car. Unless your doing unusual mountain driving you don't need trailer brakes. Strap the car with the uhaul tire straps if you can set the parking brake. You can add a strap from the rear axle to the trailer and an addition strap from the front axle to the trailer. The key is NO wheel movement while towing. Put the top down and fold the windshield. Keep you speed under 50. More speed will put force on your windshield, top material etc. I have never heard of or had seat cushons, floor boards flying out the car??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Got the car home today, thanks again for the suggestions. Friend with all the right gear and trailer helped me out. Perfect weather, smooth sailing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Wow, four months for a 150 mile trip! No wonder it was smooth(and slow!) LOL...sorry, just had to pull a "Seth" on ya! Glad she's home and all went well. Always a good feeling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Ooops, actually meant "Dennis Seth"...our forum Comedian...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 10:44 am:

A U-Haul dealer is supposed to ask you what your tow vehicle is, and is not supposed to rent you the trailer if your vehicle isn't on the approved list. U-Haul tandem axle trailers have surge brakes, and it is my experience that they work well. The 5.0 V8 (4.9 if you do the math) will be a little light on power, but if you have a decent radiator will tow the T OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Then too, those surge brakes only work at maximum if the trailer is in line with the tow vehicle.

They are no good when the trailer is in a bad sway and trying to pass the tow vehicle.

You can buy a trailer with brakes on only one axle, but they are illegal in many states and an accident will get a healthy fine to the owner, nearby Pennsylvania is one state that I have heard complaints about the cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gerrit on Tuesday, September 06, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Four months, yes--well some life events got in the way. Needed first two months get myself mentally prepared ha ha ha. Restoration should go a bit faster now that I can actually put my hands on the car ;-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration