OT, but Boy, I Wish I Had the Money and Room for This!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT, but Boy, I Wish I Had the Money and Room for This!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

1911 Metz Runabout with friction drive!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Stock-/371633932491?forcerrptr=true&hash=ite m56871bc8cb:g:rXcAAOSwfY9XP55Z&item=371633932491

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

I weened myself off of vehicles other than Model T's and Model A's after owning and rebuilding a 1899 Leggett. Only two were made and one burned in a fire in 1901 so no parts available. After I spent over 18k at a machine shop having engine parts made I decided the money and time to get this buggy running were above my pay grade and sold the running unit to a fellow in N.Y. Where it was made originally. A fun project but for me never again. BTW?...I also broke two fingers and knuckles in 7 places cranking the engine which had a spark advance system much antiquated compared to the Model T. The operation to put my hand back together was another 6k. :-) Dreaming of owning a rare car and actually owning it are two different worlds.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

I have heard that the Metz engine is very similar to the Model T Ford engine. A nice example.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I love it and for now am the high bidder. have no idea of its worth or what the reserve is, but it should be an interesting few days,

Rod

Doesn't run so I could tow it around with my yellow speedster (an Oregon Duck leading an Oregon Beaver -- Oh the joy!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Rod, I hope you win it so that we can see more pictures of it when you get it home! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

If I only had the funds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Interesting car with and engine that looked like a T engine. The carb is an aluminum knockoff of a Holley G, some of the parts interchange. They called it a Waltham carburetor. Like all those old aluminum parts they are hard to get apart and work on.

Phil Jamison, who posts on here occasionally, has one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Well I've been out bid. I may jump back in, but at over 8G that's more than I want to go on a none running bill of sale only car. Sure is cute though!

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:31 am:

Yeah, I wish I could afford to bid on that thing! I like the Metz 22! Have for a long time. I also wish I could bid on the '15 Dodge touring that is on there right now. I don't like the color on it, but I think I could fix that in about two weeks.
For those that do not know, that orange on the Metz is very close to an original color offered by Metz on one model in 1914. But it was a one year only one model offering. I also believe that it is a 1912, not an '11 car. I would have to dig out some articles I have lost somewhere to be sure, but I think the '11s and '12s were a dark gray or charcoal black. The '13 and '14 standard roadsters were mostly blue body over cream chassis. I think I could live with the Metz being orange. I do wish I could afford to bid on it. No idea what the reserve is. The '15 Dodge is a no reserve auction! It only has a couple days to go. Could be a great deal for someone. Or not?
Good luck to any and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:42 am:

The Metz is probably a 1914.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:23 am:

I have a 1914 Metz in the trailer now.

I am also hauling a spare engine.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:52 am:

The last time I visited Egge Machine Company in Santa Fe Springs, they had one of those on their showroom floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

When I was a kid, we visited an old car "museum" in eastern S.D.. The cars were kept in barns, of sorts,
rather than the typical fancy-pant buildings most of us associate with the word "museum" today. They had
all sorts of cars of SO MANY makes I had never heard of before. I was blown away ! Metz was one of those
names. I was so taken by this that I went to the staff and asked for a piece of paper and went through the
whole place again, making a list of all these car manufacturers and began a passive hobby of adding names
as I discovered more.

That was also the first time I saw a center door T sedan and I remember thinking how odd that concept was,
visualizing a modern car built with that access platform ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

Wayne, a friend in the old Gold Country HCCA had a really nice Metz roadster in Grass Valley. It couldn't handle the hills. He was frequently relining the transmission. Eventually he went to Kevlar friction material. No word on whether the Kevlar breaks Metz trannies like it can do in T Fords as he sold it and got an Overland Touring car.

This one looks great so it doesn't matter if it runs, it's at its best on display!

Cheers, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Metz won the Glidden Tour in 1913.

When I was around five years old, I was a passenger in a Metz roadster when one of the flat springs in the friction drive decided to let go with a loud bang and sliced right through the fuel line.

Even though I was very young, I still remember it vividly. We were lucky that the spring didn't fly up through the floorboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Terry, I think I saw the car and talked with him a couple times (years ago before I moved here). If it is the one I am thinking about, it was gray.
A lot of people have trouble with that friction drive. They originally used a pressed paper piece in the driven wheel, which actually worked fairly well. It did need to be replaced regularly, good for about 2000 miles on the roads of the '10s. The company that made them then is still in business and still supplies the pieces for Metz owners today. Most Metz owners are not familiar with this company, and make their own solution. Most of those solutions are not quite up to the task, and the "pressure drive" (as Charles Metz called it) becomes troublesome.
Many years ago, I knew a fellow that had and toured a couple Metz roadsters quite a lot. He had found his own solution using a combination of oak and leather which worked very well. He would often make bets about the car's ability to climb steep hills, and won them all. I wish I had paid more attention to how he put it together, as I would like to have passed it on to the Metz community. He passed away about twenty years ago, before the internet became much of anything.
I will probably never get my rusty mess restored. Way too many projects ahead of it. But sometimes? I think maybe? I would love to have that car done, or another one like it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 04:35 am:

At $8100 with a little more than (3) days left ....

This looks to be in Portland, Oregon.

I am going to dropping off in the Seattle, WA
area in about (2) weeks & will have an empty trailer .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 04:43 am:

I can't believe how cheap that Dodge went! (If it did in fact sell for the ending bid?)
I am still watching to see where the bidding goes on the Metz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 09:03 am:

This is a bit off topic, but has anyone ever managed to get a Bill of Sale car titled, particularly in Oregon. It is one of the issues keeping me from pursuing this any further.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 09:52 am:

WOW, everyone must still be sleeping. No negative comments regarding the street rod yet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Rod, Yes I got an Oregon title for a 29 A roadster with a bill of sale a couple of years ago.
It's just a matter of getting the right paperwork and making the right statements and jumping through all the hoops

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Gary,

That is because;

The Metz is in the background

The 1928 Ford is a Model A

The metal work on it is done very nicely

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 10:35 am:

If the street rod (are there road rods, highway rods, boulevard rods?) were a Model T then the mob would certainly be out with their pitchforks and torches, but this is just a Model A, so no one cares.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Thanks guys, yes, I know it's an A but was expecting at least one yech or no way ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

The only car I see in that photo is a yellow Metz?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Thanks Dale, If I decide to pursue this a little further, I may tap into what ever knowledge you may have.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I just got word from Ebay that the seller has lowered the reserve. I jumped back in, but I'm still below what ever he lowered it to.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

eBad indicates no sale bidding ended. I do wonder what the reserve was.
Rod L, If you do wind up getting this? Or find out what the reserve was? Could you let me know? I cannot buy anything at this time but have been interested in Metz for a long time and am curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Wayne,
I have tendered an offer and am waiting for a reply.
I'll let you know what transpires. Fingers and whatnot crossed.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

I have heard back from the seller, his reserve was
$16,000.00 and will let it go for $14,500.00!
I'm not interested at that price, if anyone is, contact me and I will give you his contact information.

Rod

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration