A Pressing Matter...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Pressing Matter...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:25 pm:

Looked through the manual and searched the forum but did not find a clear answer. What's the safest way to press the timing gear onto the crank? Getting it off is obvious but I don't want to do any damage installing the new one. Thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

I'd probably heat the gear up to about 300 degrees and perhaps slip it on without using force.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I didn't want to put all that pressure on the whole crankshaft, so I have used a large vice, letting the first throw support the crank at the fixed jaw, then pressing on the gear with the other jaw, a short piece of pipe pushes the gear all the way in :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Tim, I have always used the press. The crankshaft is supported on the two V plates with the back of the front throw supported. The gear is pushed on using a sleeve which clears the crankshaft.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I used Robert's technique, worked great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration