OT (sorta)..."Auto Correct"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT (sorta)..."Auto Correct"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

I realize that the "auto correct" feature has it's place I guess, but personally, I'm really getting to dislike it more and more!

I'm sometimes pretty careless about "proofreading" before I post, but now, I'm more careful about proofreading more than ever before. And that's because I'm finding that I need to proofread more carefully than ever before, because "auto-correct" sometimes changes what I write to something altogether different than what I wrote, and I have to change it back!

In a previous post, I just wrote "Permatex" which is exactly what I meant, and it was spelled correctly, and auto-correct changed Permatex to "permitted". Had I not caught that, what I wrote would have made no sense at all.

Even a misspelled word is better than a word that is an entirely different word that makes no sense!

I notice that in proofreading, the word Permatex was highlighted, because spell check didn't recognize that word which is a brand name. I'm okay with the spell check thing, in fact, I think it's great! But it seems like there should be a way to "tone-down" auto-correct a little bit,......FWIW,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Well! That's a new and different "screw-up" for me. A box told me to change my subject title, so I did, and in the process, posted the same thing twice but with two different subject titles,....sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Yes, auto correct is my worst enema.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

I seem to have auto-correct turned off. Misspelled or unrecognized words are flagged with a red underline, but never corrected. Look for a switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I seem to have auto-correct turned off. Misspelled or unrecognized words are flagged with a red underline, but never corrected. Look for a switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

The forum has spell check, but no autocorrect - but my phone has autocorrect and it was a pain until I learned to always look where the proposed word is and stop it if the phone has a different idea than I.. Works better the more it learns the words I use most, it seems?
Your mileage with different models and settings may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Roger, I don't remember how I did it (somewhere in Settings, I assume) but I turned off autocorrect on my phone. When I texted in Dutch, autocorrect was going crazy... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

It did go crazy for me too - for a while - when I typed in english, but now it seems to have adopted to both languages - and it actually helps now, since often it suggests a long word after only a few letters :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

With the red underlined words - just right click over them and you should see various words you can correct with.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:34 am:

I feel bad for my friend Steve Bogner who usually becomes Steve Booger :-)
Both with auto-correct and spell check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 05:41 am:

I don't have AutoCorrect, but do have Spellchecker. I get quite annoyed at the red underlines on words that I know are correctly spelled. Part of the reason is that most word processing programmes originate in the USA so have no idea how real English is spelled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:54 am:

Dane - I have a cousin in England who your post reminded me of. She likes to point out to us "Yanks" the difference between American English and what she considers to be the more "correct" Kings English!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:06 am:

The Brits like unnecessary letters!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration