Starter bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Looking for ideas why a starter Bendix spring bolt would sheer on the inner bolt and bend the outer bolt? The key way was intact although slightly sloppy...spring is like new...bolt keepers in place?? Starter was working fine for startup, then the next time just spinning and not trying to engage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

A few reasons....

1. 12v battery

2. Offset Bendix gear to flywheel ring gear causing bad engagement, perhaps bent starter shaft.

3. Bendix bolts worn thread or seated partially, hung up by lock washers.

4. Worn Bendix thread, or drive collar, hanging up gear prior to engagement.

5. Prior backfire due lack of spark retard, causing damage to Bendix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

HI Dan, I'm running an 8 volt battery on the starter.
Bendix was in gaging properly on last startup.
I'm leaning as you say towards bad threads/play in the drive collar which looks like it had spun before ! and the possibility of a kickback as the engine was a complete rebuild and the first time started.
I went back thru the timer adjustment and found it a little more advanced than I set it. Maybe installing the radiator and hose I bumped the rod

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration