A Special Tool, Just for you

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Special Tool, Just for you
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

While reading the forum I saw that many members were asking the easiest way to remove the bearing races from the hub. There were many suggestions from heating to using punches etc. I thought there has to be a better way and in searching was unable to find a special tool to do the job so I made my own.

I had an old hub. When I put the outer race in I noticed a curious bulge where the hub cap screws on that while not stopping the installation of the hubcap would make it difficult to start. I think this may have been caused by someone beating out a race from one side causing the race to turn and bend out a weak section by the threads.

I had several failed attempts to make a tool to remove the races until I realized that I needed two distinct tools to accomplish the job at hand. This is due to the raised surface just behind the outer bearing. You need a way to apply even pressure to the race and not slip. Here is the solution I came up with.

Simple construction, would be a great “club tool” but mine is not hardened because I don't know how, but it would make the tools more durable.

Both tools are made from 3/8” square stock which is readily available at your favorite home improvement store.

Outer race removal tool: legs are first cut to 7” and then bent to 22.5 degrees at 1.5” up from the bottom then the legs are cut so that they will be level across the bottom (where they will be resting on the race) and only have a 1/2” piece down from the bend (vices just cant seem to hold 1/2” length while you are trying to bend it)

the scrap pieces are then welded to the upper end of one leg as shown then filed, ground, or if you are lucky enough to have access to a machine shop milled to 9/16”. I installed a bolt for my first copy then decided a cap to hold the legs parallel to the race would be easier this bolt does not have to be gorilla tight, finger tight will do nicely.

Inner race tool is slightly longer mostly so I know which is which (inner bearing being larger) the main difference is that the legs are bent to 30 degrees 1.250 inches up from the bottom and only enough off of the bottom to make the legs parallel to the race. Then a 2.5” length of the square stock is welded to the upper end of one leg and filed, ground or milled to 9/16”.

This tool works for me but I don't have an early hub to see if they would work on them, but I am sure someone will modify them to work. I apologize for my lack of finess in making these tools but here are photos showing the thing in action and some of my construction

the above shows how the "Legs" sit squarley on the bearing race

This one shows my press removing the race evenly

same but inner race

and this one shows no scratching or other tool marks left by my tool :-) hope this helps :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Nice job!! Thanks for the ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Simply ingenious!
Did the "fingers" deform at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Duey no the fingers did not deform and I have used it on 4 hubs now seems to be ok even without hardening :-)
Keep em rolling

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Looks like I've got another project. Thanks for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:47 am:

G.R.

Rather nice tool you made. Makes for an easy task of popping out the race.

Did a home made punch from a star drill, cutaway the shank to get the 'angle'.

Have looked for this Stevens curved tool punch for the bearing race made in the past, but no luck so far.

Yours does this job! Nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Thanks Dan I never heard of the Stevens Curved tool punch But I like the tools they show for seating the races Hummm I think I can make those...... :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration