OT - Another computer scam phone call

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Another computer scam phone call
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

My being laid-up with back surgery didn't stop the scammer attempts! Got back from the doc today to find a voicemail message in broken English: "From HP Computers - We are getting bad notifications from your computer. Call us back at 877-778-8984."
Being leery, [since during this past week I've also been told (for the 2nd time) that 'The IRS has filed a lawsuit against you', and 'A civil lawsuit has been filed against you. Either you or your retained attorney need to call us back. If you don't call us back, Good Luck!']
Instead of calling the Sheriff's Dept. or the FTC Consumer Protection, I called the Geek Squad at our local Best Buy... "That is the same scam that's been going around since last summer. Do NOT respond to them!"
Best response to unfamiliar phone calls or numbers is to let them go into voice-mail. And just like the 'Hold' button - 'IGNORE!'
Guess they must be making money off someone un-suspecting, or they wouldn't continue...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

All calls to my land line are answered by a machine. Politicians, telemarketers, and other pests are given the bum's rush. Legitimate callers are invited to leave a message. You don't have to talk to scammers if you don't want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Steve's got it figured out. Even at work on my cell I have the scammers, irs fraud calls and extended warranty for a vehicle I traded off two years ago. The warranty lady said she was noticing that I need repair work on my 2013 ram. That truck I traded on a 2015 but yet she could see from MY LAST visit (30 days ago) to the dodge dealer. Really!! Beware of all the ridiculous calls!!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

If you don't recognize the name or number just don't answer them. Simple. They're no doubt after your belongings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I say hello, wait a second or two, if no answer I hang up.
All my friends, both of them, know to speak up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

To make a long story as short as I can and still tell it, :-)
1 day I got 1 of those,"Hello My name is Matt calling from Windows computer ,you are having trouble with your pc right?"
Well, this was not the first time I had got 1 of these calls and the last 1 was told to go shovel cow ##&#.
Apparently this guy didn't get that message.
I decided to have some fun.
I said," You know you could not have called at a better time,I just upgraded from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 and for some reason I can't get my computer to work right". "Ok Guud, we can help u!,iz your computer online?" "No,give me a minute and let me get connected, I just got a new modem last week that is a 50K baud modem, it should be alot faster than the 5K baud I took out!". " OK guud, let me know when u are online". "Ok hang on I just got the computer booted up,I am connecting now", "OK Guud" Ok,I got a dial tone". Guud, By this time my dad came up and was standing there wondering just what the heck I was doing.
I finally said, "OK I am connected, Looks like I got a 46k connection right now, boy is that going to be FAST". " OK guud,let me see what I can do to help you get your computer working faster".

I Finally said, "Hey Dum Bass, even as tight as I am on spending money on technology, I have windows XP, Windows 95 went out before your cow was born Dude!". And I hung up.

Yes I can be a jacka-- sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

For several weeks my Email has been saying "your Hotmail is going to be cancelled" I don't know if it's a scam or not, so I ignored it, well today, I got 2 final notice messages, . we'll see what happens. Dave in Bellingham, Wa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

There's one that has called my number 2 or 3 times. It sounds like a live male voice. He asks, "How are you doing today?" No mater what response you give he says, "Great. The reason I'm calling...." It's a very sophisticated computerized calling system. I still don't know how he plans to get all my money.

Boy, is he gonna be disappointed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:15 am:

I never answer my phone if it's a number I don't recognize. I have had Caller ID since it was offered here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:24 am:

JUST CAME IN OVER THE WIRE

Five suspects have been arrested for involvement in a growing IRS impersonation scam that has bilked an estimated $36.5 million from 6,400 victims nationwide, federal officials said Tuesday.

Nabbed Monday in Miami, Fla., the suspects are accused of making multiple calls in which they claimed to be IRS or Treasury officials, told unwitting victims they owed tax debts, and threatened arrests if payments weren't sent immediately, the office of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration said.

The five allegedly persuaded the victims to wire payments via MoneyGram, Walmart2Walmart and other money wiring services.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:44 am:

And if I were in charge, those five would be standing before a firing squad right now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:44 am:

I like this response....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mabe+telemarketer&view=detail&mid=53EFD24E5 0A3BCEC7F9D53EFD24E50A3BCEC7F9D&FORM=VIRE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Be wary of any email you receive that mentions an INVOICE. When itís opened it locks up your computer until you pay a ransom at which time the bandit may or may not give you the code to unlock it. Curiosity is a strong motivator when we receive an invoice from someone we havenít done business with. Iíve received two of these scams so far and have just deleted them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Don't have the details, but my wife put a free service on our land line that bypasses all "robo calls". The phone rings once here and then stops. If it is a robo call, this service blocks the number and we never get the call. It's free. We are registered on the federal no call list, but it does little.
The computer error scammers from India have now figured out a way to get their calls routed through servers here in the US, so a fake number and a US city come up on the Caller ID.
We contacted our phone provider and they cannot do anything other than block all international calls, which is fine with us, but won't stop the ones that get rerouted through US servers.
The computer error guy always calls a few minutes after I open up emails, so there is some cookie in one of my emails that alerts them when I am online.
Careful with the smart responses as we had one guy call back at all hours of the night after I played along with him. I was thinking the more time he wasted with me, the less time he had to scam someone else. It backfired until I could get his number blocked with a feature on our phone service.

Their parents must be proud of their schosen profession.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:24 am:

I should have added this tidbit to my earlier post. If you have an external backup, you may want to disconnect it until you want to update your files. Plug it in, use it and then disconnect it again. This will at least give you some access to your files, etc if and when the bandits manage to lock things up. Welcome to Scam-a-Day!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:37 am:

They're still out there, but some do get caught:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/five-arrested-in-irs-impersonation-scam/ar-B BtrqXT?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SK2EDHP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I just went to GR's link and i hope to get my breath back this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Those Indian guys seem to enjoy me telling them I have to check on a beef brisket that I'm cooking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

I have wondered though, do the Indian guys that call us have a "list" of numbers of folks that offended them to patch thru more calls to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 12:22 am:

The last time I got one of those calls the guy said that they had been notified, that my windows computer had been infected with a virus. To which I replied, sure has, it's now running a whole different operating system...Linux Mint. They usually just hang up after that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:23 am:

Martin, thank you for that.
I've been using Puppy Linux since '09 or so. NEVER had a problem since on my computer.
My old HP XP desktop from June '06 just got retired due to an upgrade of hardware at this house. I was hoping to make ten years using that old desktop machine but am glad to have far more power with this '08 machine. :-)
The phone: Back when the old lady allowed caller ID (the more money we got, the cheaper we get so caller ID is gone), when we'd get a suspect call, sometimes I'd grab it and answer the call in German or French. They'd hang up. :-)

(Message edited by Duey_C on May 26, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:55 am:

Got one of those today about my Microsoft computer errors. then I asked when did I get a Microsoft computer ?? How come mine sez MacBook ?? CLICK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Been running different flavours of Linux since 95 OS/2, Mandrake, Red Hat, Susie, Debian, and Ubuntu!
Linux has come a loooonnngg way :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration