Rod Cap Bolts - Castleatted or Self Locking?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rod Cap Bolts - Castleatted or Self Locking?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tomlinson on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Hello,

I am rebuilding a 27 motor that will have a Fronty S head. Which road cap bolts are best to use, the original castleatted type or newer self locking type. Are any of the self lockers better than others?

Thanks,
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

I use ordinary grade 8 nuts, Loktite, and a torque wrench!! Have for years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Chevy 350 rod bolts work nicely and you could use the lock nuts supplied with them after you get the rods fitted. There are longitudinal serrations on the shank you may need to smooth out. If you want to use castle nuts then you can drill cotter pin holes in the bolts. I would not use the original Ford rod bolts unless the tooth fairy brought you a set of NOS ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Ted has a point about using original rod bolts. So many of them have pulled threads from being strong armed to line up with the cotter pin hole. If the slot can't be lined up at around 35FLBS then swap the nuts around.
On a Model A that gets set to the same torque I had to brace myself and use a cheater bar to remove the nuts. The threads on the rod bolts/studs were toast, with a model A rod if the threads are toast so is the rod, they are forged as part of the rod. At least with a Model T you can use the Chev 350 fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

And yes I just buy new grade 8 3/8"bolts and grind a flat side on the head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:29 am:

I use the Chevy small block rod bolts and nuts. They work great, and are free if you know a rebuilder. :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration