Trying something different on this T engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trying something different on this T engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Yes those are Fordson tractor valves for the intakes. I am using a Stipe 280 cam and a drilled Crower crank.
The head gasket has a "altered" shape to allow the use of the bigger valves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Gibson on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Interested to see how this works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:00 am:

If you read "Speed and Sport", it was done back in the T era. So really nothing new

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:17 am:

One of our speedsters has Fordson tractor valves in it, not sure whether on both intake and exhaust, but we're going to do a valve regrind soon so if I remember I'll grab a pic and post it on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:24 am:

I've been running Fordson 1.66" valves in my '15 since 2003. Be sure to check clearance on the inside of the combustion chamber Les. Mine hit when I test rotated the engine with no head bolts installed. Had to grind as much as .100" from the edges of the combustion chamber on a couple cylinders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:20 am:

I wonder whether the head will shroud the valve too much for this to provide any notable improvement in flow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Here is with a stock size head gasket. Totally unworkable this way

Here is the special head gasket on the head I'm considering using. I think the valves will clear, but I will certainly verify.

Royce
Thank you for the "heads-up"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Les,

They will hit about half way up the side of the combustion chamber at or near max lift. I had to trim my head gasket too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Les, Are the tractor valves larger than the 351w valves? Any reason you picked the tractor valves? Thanks for any info you can shed on this, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Scott
The tractor valves are EASY!! Same stem as stock T valves. I just drilled 1/8" holes in the correct location and trimmed the stem length. I have a seat grinder which allowed me to open up the seats. So I can use stock T retainers with pins
Perhaps the valves you mention would work just as well, but I don't know!!
Royce
I will certainly check. The Pruss head is opened up considerably where you point, but who knows!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Did you make this gasket or modify one that was off the shelf? I'm wondering how you deal with the pre-finished edge on the inside of an off the shelf gasket, or where you get the material to make one from scratch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Gary
I bought the gasket from Kevin Pharis a couple of years back. I'm not sure if they are still available

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration