OT: How to insulate a roll up door?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT: How to insulate a roll up door?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Guys: I know this is OT, but. Has anyone here insulated a steel roll up door- the kind that roll up into a drum like. I have one on my shop and was wondering about insulating it. I have seen the "bubble wrap insulation". How to hold it on the door? Any input will be welcome. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

My roll-up door rolls into itself--there's no room to add anything to one side of the metal
OTOH, it's a cheap door, maybe others have space.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

We bought ours already insulated. It has some thick Styrofoam type insulation cut in rectangles and stuck in the panels then a thin sheet of a sort of plastic covering the longer panels lengthways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Dan
I don't think yours can be successfully insulated. That being said, you can gain some R value by hanging a plastic curtain close inside the door. Better than nothing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Roll-ups are made as insulated or non-insulated. I don't think a retrofit is possible, based on the unit construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

This has been inferred, but Dan has, if I understand correctly, one of the roll up doors that rolls into a drum, kind of like paper towels come rolled on a tube. This type of door is commonly raised and lowered (if manual) by pulling on a chain suspended from the drum. It is not your common garage door, made in hinged sections, riding on a tracks. If it were, insulating it would be simple. Many garage door manufacturers make retrofit insulation kits for non insulated factory made doors. Probably the best bet for Dan is to do what Les said and hang a plastic curtain, like they use in butcher shops and grocery stores, to try to insulate from loosing or gaining heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Try contacting these folks, maybe they have a kit for roll-up doors. I used one of their kits for my garage doors, it was easy to install and works great!

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Those roll up door that they use at storage units are junk.
When I had my garage built, they installed 2 of them. 9x7. A 7 ft. Door is not a 7 ft door. I had to jerryrig one so I could get my '14 touring in. 7ft door was actually about 6ft 8 in. I also have a 12x12 door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Dan,

This may sound stupid but you may want to get a couple of 1 inch thick blue board 4 x 8 sheets and make an interior door that you can just set against the roll up door. Use cloth reinforced tape and make it like an accordion that you unfold and stand next to the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

Update: Insulation is made for these doors. It is called Reflective Foam, metal each side with something like bubble wrap inside. Held to the door by double sided tape and mylar tape. See this link http://janusintl.com/products/products-options-insulation.php

Now to find the tape. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

All these photos are of overhead PANEL doors. Roll ups quite literally roll up into a
cylinder, like a roll of carpet, above the door opening. Whole different critter !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Yes, I know that, but I thought that the same manufacturer might have a similar kit for roll-up doors. Quote from the first sentence of my earlier post:

"Try contacting these folks, maybe they have a kit for roll-up doors."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Burger -

You are correct - it rolls up like toilet paper!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:48 am:

-An additional tip for sectional doors- Located where I am, when there was sunlight showing through at the hinge areas, I inquired at a local hardware store. 'Spring loaded' hinge replacements now keep the insulated door snug to the weatherstrip.... Also helps with the dehumidifier, as well the heat mode.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Dan, where are you located?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Sunny South: Alabama

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

"Salty" humidity off the gulf too? Consider at least the inside hanging vapor barrier to help ward that off. Keep your door's sun exposure in mind. Best wishes!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration