Correct routing of timer loom

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Correct routing of timer loom
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

O.k. I need some advice; I installed a new TW timer the other day, making sure everything was nice and dry. I put all back together and yes, it fired up but when I took it for a spin I had no power and it really sounded off; like a missing cylinder. I adjusted the carb and timing but nothing seemed to help, which was frustrating since Lizzy usually runs pretty strong. Thought maybe bad gas or carb issues, but freshly rebuilt Holley G shouldn't be the problem. I took the spark plugs off to check the gap (re-gaped at .025) then noticed all plugs had a little soot except #4 - no soot at all! So I tried the wood handle screwdriver test to each plug while running, and sure enough #4 had no noticeable difference like the other three had so I proceeded to re-check my connections at the timer and I saw that the "flag" on the end of green #4 was being rubbed by the fan belt, and the solder was rubbed to copper showing through. No matter how I adjust that little "flag" on the timer thread, either the wire is close to the timing cover or the flag is too close to the belt. What is the correct way to route and connect green #4 to the timer? Does it matter if the wire is touching the timing cover? Since it's insulated I don't see why not but I sure could use some advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in Katy Texas on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Hi Bill,

My TW timer fitted fine on my 14/13. Here's the suggested way to route the wires. I would think it would be ok to bend the connector if you had to.

Hope this helps,
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Just might be your fan belt is too far over, maybe wrong size? Or fan bracket out of position.

Yes, it does matter to not have that insulated timer wire contact and rub on the timer case. The case rotates when setting advance/retard. And vibrations of the T can rub and wear the wire, short to ground will cancel out the coil on that timer wire, and no spark to that coil's plug.

Have always put the flag terminal connections like Ford illustrates, along side the timer case, out of the way, without sticking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Are the leather belts thinner?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

No the modern belts are thinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Also, Dan, can you get a photo of the green #4 on your timer? The fan blade is kinda in the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Bill

Was easier to take some new, this New Day timer on current project T.

Isn't running so handy to snap a photo, remove the timer to show wiring, and then re-fit to show wires back behind the timer case clamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Nice thing with the New Day is it's made of plastic and 'Short Proof' as the legend reads on the case. That way if wires chafe, no ground outs that can happen with a metal timer case.

Ah...maybe the New New Day Timers will be available soon :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Just purchased and installed a New Day from Hutch.
Works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Great photos, Dan, but the problem is the TW timer has the 3/8" threaded post/nut on the sides of the timer not on the face of the timer like yours. I still managed to get the "flag" in a spot where it is no longer making contact with the belt, and the green loom wire isn't close to the timing cover so I think this should work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Thanks Kirk!

Will place order to Hutch now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

I would suspect the belt being the wrong length. Try loosing the belt and pull the opposite side of the belt so that the side next to the timer is tight. If that causes the belt to clear the timer terminals, you need a shorter belt.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration