Switch key to magneto..died

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Switch key to magneto..died
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Another newbie request for help.

I turned the key to the left (battery) and after the engine started, I turned the key to the right (magneto).
The engine died.

Prior to starting the engine, I cleaned the mag post, installed refurbished coils and installed a new TW timer.

I don't know if I caused the problem or if it came with the purchase of the car. The previous owner is deceased.

Many thanks again for your valued guidance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Have you a test light? just start the T on battery and while running see if you are getting power from the magneto post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Jay, fire it up on battery get it warmed up well, then take a wire from the mag post to the bottom of the coil box, if it runs there then there is a problem in the switch but if it does not then the feild coil or magnets are toast. Hope this helps Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Jay, to clarify Joe's suggestion, be sure to remove the original wire to the coil box, or switch the key to off. You don't want to apply any DC voltage to the mag post. To test the magneto, hook up an 1156 bulb somehow to the post and ground. It should glow at idle, then blow at higher RPM. If you have an analog meter, you can check the AC voltage while the bulb is connected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Jay, here's a little vid of what it should look like with a strong mag, testing with the key in the battery position. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IN9l9EzMlo&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

I always learn something on here every day.. This forum helps me keep my T s going. There are no model T clubs in my area and I haven't seen a model T on the roads around here in 5 years. Now I can check my magneto. Thanks Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration