Has rust ruined this new axle shaft ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Has rust ruined this new axle shaft ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Not likely, the surfaces where the Hyatt bearings run look good. Rust in the middle is harmless but should be removed. Any surface rust on the tapered end should be polished out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

Constantine. I will gladly take it from you and any others just like it that you have!!
Even better if you are running safety hubs!
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

A trained metallurgist can correct me, but I think you will want to have the rusty part of the axle polished as well as de-rusted. Because of the loading on the axle, it undergoes reversal of stresses every revolution. Any imperfections in the surface finish can become the seed for a crack in the axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

I would run it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Did you find it like that or can you explain the rusting in just a few spots? There may be defects in the surface finish making it susceptible to rust. Can't think it would wreck it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:41 am:

Nothing wrong with it. Polish it out with fine sand paper and put it together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Just a heads up,..If that axle shaft is one of the Off shore units, so may want to check the diameter with a micrometer before installing the axle gear. They are supposed to have .002" clearance (larger than the bore of the axle gear)
The ones I purchased had almost no clearance as they were oversized, which makes installing the gear almost impossible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

That rust in that location shouldn't hurt anything.Just my opinion. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Dave,

I think you mean they are supposed to have a press fit, (or interference), of .002. Which, by the way, is a very heavy press fit.

Maybe "the ones you purchased" had too great a press fit? There really should be NO clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

If rust made Model T parts unusable there would be no Model T's...

I would buff off the rust and use that axle without a second thought if the taper and threads are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Charlie B, I purchased it new, and it came sealed in plastic; but the plastic got some holes in it then the whole thing got wet...I should have been more careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

This is a spare shaft, I have no plans to use it. What's the best way to store it making sure the rust will not spread? Cover in grease then wrap in newspaper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Constantine the axle is worthless....but I'll give you $3.00 for the rust. Leave it on the shaft and send it to me! ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:17 am:

Clean it up, then coat it with a thin layer of grease, not oil, but a good grease

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:45 am:

Didn't you finish a long model T tour? I'm surprised with the question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 06:07 am:

James, one of the reasons why my long tour ended well is because I always like to hear what other people's opinions and their reasoning, even when I'm 90% certain I know the answer. There always could be a better or smarter way to do things no matter how much you think you know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration