OT - but not really. It was once called "Decoration Day"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - but not really. It was once called "Decoration Day"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Usually I use "OT" for pre - T Ford threads. This time, it's not "for the good of the hobby." It's "for the good of all."

Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend, and please, take a moment to remember those who served. Especially those who will never see another Decoration Day.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Rob, thanks so much. That top photo brought tears to my eyes as soon as I saw it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:36 am:

The best "OT" thread in a long time. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Back in 68 my wife's brother was killed in Viet Nam. Not a veteran but my mother died 2 years ago today. Many memories will be going thru our heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:56 am:

It's interesting that it was once called "decoration day". I heard that it was officially changed to "memorial day" sometime in the 1950's. However, I went to school in the 1940's and remember it being called "memorial day". About the time I was in first grade, we had an old soldier called "Captain Mingei" who sat in front of the auditorium. He was a veteran from the Civil War! He must have been at least 100 years old. I even knew where his house was.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:03 am:

I think that the last Civil war veteran died in 1956. Thanks to all who have served.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:09 am:

When will they ever learn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:35 am:

-Bud- "When will they ever learn?"
History will keep repeating it's 'lesson' until the 'lesson is learned....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

- -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

"Where have all the Flowers Gone" by the Kingston Trio...One of the verses is "When will they ever learn"

My home will have both the American Flag and the POW flag flying as well as my small tribute to all those who gave all...Two wooden crosses with helmets and boots in my front yard.

My father was a WII POW shot down over Lille France, My brother an MIA, My cousin an KIA

So yes I will remember.

THANK YOU ROB FOR POSTING THIS TOPIC

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

"That top photo brought tears to my eyes as soon as I saw it."

Me too.

Thanks for the reminder, Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

For those of us planning to fly the flag on Memorial Day, a reminder:

"The proper protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day slightly differs from other occasions when flags are flown at half-staff. On Memorial Day, flags are flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon only, and then raised quickly to full-staff."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Everyone,especially the youngsters should go to a National cemetery at least once.It is a very humbling experience. So many gave every thing for all of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Thank you Rob for remembering. People sometimes forget the sacrifice our heroes have made in order for us to live with the freedoms we have. As I get older I find it easier to tear up when I think of the effect the loss of a veteran can have on a family. And it isn't necessarily limited to those that have passed in combat. It took me 15 years to realize the disservice that was done my father when he passed and wasn't given his veterans rights. Last year I corrected that and had a plaque placed on his grave identifying him as a WW2 vet who served in the South Pacific from 1943 to 1945. This year I'll pray for him and all veterans who've passed. And pray that God will have them rest easy in his loving arms. God bless America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Michael,While your praying for those Vets,please pray for the vets we are making each day!! Pray for them that if they give their lives it will be for a just cause and not so someone can make money off war!! Have we learned anything?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

There is a mass grave at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis that contains the ashes of 100 allied military and civilians who died in a Japanese prison camp on Fukuoka, Japan, in 1944 and 1945. When the decision was made to re-inter them in their home countries in 1949, the containers had rusted and the ashes could no longer be identified. There were 71 Americans, 16 British, 10 Dutch and three Australians. The US was chosen because the majority were American, and St. Louis (I assume) because it was centrally located. Every year, on the Sunday before Memorial Day, local Boy Scouts put an American flag on every grave in the cemetery. I also put the four national flags on the allied grave. Tuesday morning, I will collect them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

This is hard to explain, but a day seldom goes by that I don't think about Gene Daly, a good friend, that died in Viet Nam.
When we get close to Memorial Day I reread an article about him and the affect his death had on his younger brother and his family.
It brings tears to my eyes and I thank them for their sacrifice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

I wish every American could see Arlington and the tomb of the unknown soldiers. It really gives you a sense of the sacrifices made so we can all enjoy our weekend barbecue. I give thanks for all who made made the ultimate sacrifice at the altar of freedom and also for those who did not have to. All gave some, some gave all. God bless America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

I have been to the American 8th Airforce cemetery just outside Cambridge England, the last time just several months ago. It has never failed to move me deeply, to see the names of all those American airman who gave their lives for the cause. It says as you enter the grounds that this is American soil...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

My cousin and her husband sent the two photos posted at the beginning of the thread. She also sent those below. Her father, my uncle, passed two years ago. That uncle, along with two brothers, and my dad, all served in WWII. Now, only dad, at 93, is left, and this will in all likelihood, be his last Memorial Day. Ironically, the health issues he faces are exacerbated by wounds he received in New Guinea, over seventy years ago:

The other photos:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Rob,

Posts like this are nothing more than annoying for those who celebrate the long weekend of BBQ Day.
You have a lot of nerve to suggest that people think outside themselves and perhaps ponder all they take
for granted. God forbid they feel some sense of gratitude !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Burger,
I appreciate your sense of humor, and service.

This is what our day will look like.

On Memorial Day, I'll be up early and help our Legion Post put up flags on Main and First Streets in our little Nebraska town. We'll put up the Parade of Flags along the entrance to the cemetery. We'll check that the American flags are still in place on all known veterans headstones in our small town cemetery.

We will also check the flags on the government issue headstones of the two rows of Civil War veterans in the oldest part of the cemetery.

My girls will be in the high school band as they play the Star Spangled Banner and America The Beautiful. The band director and a student will play and echo taps. I and a handful of other aging veterans will carry our "new" M-1 rifles (we just traded off our WWII era carbines for "modern" M-1 rifles) and march out of step to a pre designated spot and fire a 21 gun salute that will sound like anything from 10 to 30 rounds going off at entirely different times.

This time, we'll wheel dad in, but he will have his signature garrison hat on. However, for the first time since I am able to remember, he won't march with us, or sit at the speaker stand. Other than that, it's how we do things in small town America.

And this will be played out in communities across this country.

Later in the day, a few friends and relatives may end up at our place to reflect on the day. This is the way we've always celebrated "Decoration Day," and will continue to for the foreseeable future.

And did I mention, later in the day, we may grill, and drink a beer or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:04 am:

My Wife and I spent an entire day walking through Arlington National Cemetery. We watched the changing of the guard in total silence. Then we walked hand in hand in total silence for over 6 hours. We did not feel the need to speak as the men and women laid to rest there said it all.

My wife's father served in the Army, and she was born in Germany while he served. He retired at the rank of General in command of field hospitals all over the world. So this day was especially near and dear to her.

If you ever get the opportunity to visit Arlington, please do your self a favor and do so.

Bless those that served and gave their lives to allow us the freedoms and pleasures we enjoy every day. Please take 1 minute on memorial day and look up to the skies and silently say "thank you"

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:04 am:

When I decided to push to "get into the fight", I was driven by a desire to not die as someone
who never went. While not absolute, to me, it is one of those fundamental things that "separates
the men from the boys". I was blessed with the right doors opening to where I got to work and
serve in a meaningful way amongst some of the most honorable men and women to ever walk
the earth. I went away as one person and came back another. It was life changing in every aspect
of how I see the world. Something a person just doesn't "get" without risking it all for a cause
outside themselves. The whole bit about Duty and Honor. A respect and brotherhood for all those
who walked the walk. A deeper understanding, that words just can't explain.

Ironically, the few who do serve, do so for the masses who often don't care, or openly resent that
others would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Any old ex-GI can spot another a mile off. It was a great Coming of Age, serving in the US military regardless of Branch. Seat a group of Vets, all ages in a room- Holler 'TenHutt! 99% will jump to their feet, no thought required. Virtually every Vet would reenter service to their country at any age, if needed.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries Lexington, KY on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Our tribute to VETERANS, FAMILY AND LOVED ONES DEPARTED. GOD BLESS AMERICA. Displayed every Military and Patriotic holidayFlag Display

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 10:37 am:

The Boy Scout and Cub Scouts of the Thunderbird District in Oregon have been coming to Willamette National Cemetery to place small American flags on about 180,000 graves for the past 48 years. Last night's ceremony and placement was no different.

My father served in the Navy in WWII. My Grandfather was at Army Boot Camp when WWI came to an end. They have both been gone a long time. My son served in Korea, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. He is now a civilian and recently married.

Thank you to all who served.

Many of you know this bugler.

https://www.facebook.com/spring.townsend/videos/vb.1078430934/10207883850509009/?type=2&theater

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:04 am:

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Go back to the previous page Go to News Feed Visit our Help Center"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Those of us NOT on Facebook can't access content there unless we're willing to 'sign on'.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Marv, I am on Facebook and still got the error message I quoted... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:56 am:

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....Dick, I don't know what else to suggest - I'm not as smart as everyone else looks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

When I see a link on Facebook that I want to post here on the forum, I use Google to search for the subject of the link plus "youtube." Very often, videos posted to FB are also available to everyone on Youtube. Then I post the Youtube link instead of the Facebook one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

There are few poems I find more moving than this one which is appropriate for this thread:

In Flanders fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

By John McCrae

There is some discussion whether the end of the first line should read "grow" or "blow" but there is a copy on Wikipedia of a hand-written & signed poem reading "grow" - so that is why I copied it thus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Monday, will be spent like most days. I'll think of my Dad several times throughout the day. In the morning I'll assure my flags are hanging straight. I'll sit for 10 minutes with a neighbor and we'll talk about the traffic out on highway 10. One of us will mention something about how the people in a high percentage of the cars on the highway have no idea why we have "Memorial" Day. I'll sit around until about 2:30 then drive over to the neighbors house for coffee. We'll talk about his time with the 101st and 82nd Airborne in the late 1950's. We might bring up my time in Vietnam. We'll discuss his son, who was also a Ranger that died 6 years ago because of chemical abuse. Some mention might be made of my Marine brother and his time in Vietnam. We'll certainly talk about my Dad. Then I'll come back to the house, eat supper, watch some television for awhile, then go to bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

We observe the Holiday weekend like everyone else, cook outs and family. Most years i go to Blue ridge Ga and fix flowers and i put new flags on my grandfathers & grandmothers grave site. My grandfather is a ww2 vet and his dad was a ww1 vet and my dad is a Vietnam vet. He did 2 tours of duty when i was a kid. My dads brother was killed in Vietnam. I have friends and family that served in IRAQ and Afghanistan. So i feel like we observe the long weekend for many reasons but mostly the right reason, for all the soldiers that have fought and died serving our country. All of that so we can have the freedoms we all grew up with in this country. We appreciate all of or our veterans from every war. Thank You For Serving for all of us!!!. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

okay-
Try this link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2016/05/hundreds_of_scouts_place_fl ags.html

Great photos and be sure to watch the Video. The Young man interviewed, Kayden, is the Senior Patrol leader from our troop.

My son Spencer was bugler.

I am so proud of those kids.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Bless our troops--past, present, and future who are the very reason our freedoms are what they are. And also remember the likes of Traitor Hanoi Jane Fonda, Draft Dodger Bill Clinton, and anti-American Michael Moore for what they have done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:05 am:

I'm a Vietnam Vet. I had several uncles that were WW2 Vets. None of my family ever talked about what they did or went through. I just thought that they did what they had to do, came home, forgot about what happened and went on with their lives. I thought that was what I was supposed to do too.I tried to do that, but it didn't work out that way. It took me 38 years to figure out why it didn't. Now that they are all gone, I don't have any idea what they did or went through. If any of you have Vets that are still alive, please talk to them. Sometimes it is very hard for them, but try to help them tell their stories. Once they're gone, it's too late. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:14 am:

If you don't learn from history your doomed to repeat it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Ken I agree 100+%. And it seems like we're gonna repeat it. God Bless all our veterans, and active military folks. With all our "issues", still the greatest nation on earth. RIP to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, and to those who have passed on "peaceably".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:48 am:

I had an old friend who had served in WW II. He never talked about his service. He lived to be about 90 and shortly before he passed away, he showed his son a picture he had carried in his wallet for all those years. It was a picture of the ovens at Aswich. He had been one of the first American troops to that area when the war finally ended. He had seen first hand what the enemy had done. He spent the rest of his life with the memory, but didn't tell anyone until his death bed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Out my front window is the vintage cemetery of our area with graves starting before 1900. Every year fighter jets and helicopters do there thing barely over a stones throw away my camera is ready to record this year.
My brother flew a b 47 in SAC and instructed pilots in VN He also served in Iran. Two other brothers served as well-----------service threw me out with poor hearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Paul, when I got to Little Rock AFB in 1963, there was a wing of B-47s there. They were retired a year later and a wing of B-58s replaced them. Was your brother ever at Little Rock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Norman your post sounds like my 98 year old uncle that lives with me. He don't say much but is still bothered by the 12 or 13 year old boys that were sniping at them even when the war ended he never told me he shot them but I found some letters he sent my dad during the war. He recently told a friend about watching a little girl in a nice dress run in front of A row of fast moving tanks on a narrow road in France they probably didn't even see her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Dick, If you google James D Vitko B 47 it comes up a little of his history. I was the youngest and him the oldest. I heard about a crash in a B 47 and other stories from brothers but I only new him about a month of my life he was always in the air force and some times in covert jobs. Now past he retired in Nashville. I was surprised when it was googled a picture of his home came up but not his shop. It was separate some where he spent most of his last years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:14 am:

I thought my father would make one more Memorial Day celebration. However, we took him to the hospital again this afternoon, and he won't be out by Monday.

Last night, we had major storms and rain. Dad went outside of his care facility, and ended up outside in heavy rain for a couple of hours in the middle of the night. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with the care facility. I also know my Dad. He said he decided to go out, and that's what he did.......

This photo was taken in 2010 at our high school following the annual Veteran's Day celebration, and appeared again in the county paper in 2014. Everyone pictured graduated from our local school. Following are the branch of service and year we graduated:

Rob-Army, 1974. Dad-Army, 1939. Uncle Bob-Navy, 1943. Uncle Leo-Navy, 1938. Uncle Willis-Army, 1944, his son Larry-Navy, 1973, nephew Leroy-Army, 1961. Leroy's father, married to dad and his brothers only sister sister, fought at the Battle of the Bulge as an infantryman. He passed prior to this photo.

We have a bit of legacy in our little town. Since this photo, all dad's brothers have passed.

I sincerely hope you all enjoy a good Memorial Day, and have time to remember, and cherish your family.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Thank you Rob, to you and your family for your service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Hope your dad turns out OK Rob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Rob, I sincerely hope your dad sees another Memorial day. My thanks go to him and all who have served this great country to allow the rest of us, in numerous countries, to live the freedom we live. I was not in the service, but attempt my best to serve the veterans I meet and/or are my patients. They are the heroes!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration