How to install Gooseneck spare tire carrier??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to install Gooseneck spare tire carrier??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

It appears the body has to be removed to install the gooseneck. Am I correct? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

No,It goes on the frame/spring clamp U-bolts. I would think you can access those from below the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Pics of what Uncle Jack posted. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

It goes under the spring and chassis. The only problem I had with mine was that the rear spring was weak and when people rode in the back seat of the touring it would hit the Ruckstell axle when I went over a bump. I fixed that by swapping the rear springs between the roadster and the touring. The roadster always sat high in the back and touring sat low, so by swapping springs both cars look fine and don't bottom out.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

I am disappointed. I wanted to install a gooseneck on my 1920 Touring, but obviously will not work on a 1920.

What would you suggest I do since I would like to be able to carry a spare with me? Maybe all I can do is keep a tube under the back seat? What have others done?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Dave,the Running Board tire carrier I sell will hold a 26 wire wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Pictures of Jack's running board carrier:

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Thanks Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Jack, is that a reproduction of a period part, or is it a new design? Either way, it looks like a good product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I do not see any reason the gooseneck carrier would not work on a 1920 touring. I put one on Popeye, it was 10 minutes of removing nuts and installing and then tightening nuts. Should be easy on your car Dave.

What's the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I have a NOS original and copied Part of it,the cradle is my idea. I also make a different bracket for top that works on trucks and depot hacks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Royce, I found the problem. The license plate bracket got in the way. I guess I need a different bracket. Thank you for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Royce:

A friend realized that I did not have any cotter pins in the castle nuts. I took the shackles off and cleaned them. When I put them back on I had to use a 24 inch extension to tighten them up enough to put cotter pins in the holes.

With the gooseneck did you just use locknuts or something else to tighten it back up again? Castle nuts will never work. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Originally At least some of the TWO CROSS BARS were much thinner, when the gooseneck was used. The gooseneck itself acted as two additional cross bars. If you are installing a gooseneck on your car for the first time you will have to find a pair of the thin cross bars or make them. That way you will have not problem with cotter pin holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Monday, September 05, 2016 - 01:18 am:

Originally At least some of the TWO CROSS BARS were much thinner, when the gooseneck was used. The gooseneck itself acted as two additional cross bars. If you are installing a gooseneck on your car for the first time you will have to find a pair of the thin cross bars or make them. That way you will have no problem with cotter pin holes.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration