Old Photo, Farm Machinery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo, Farm Machinery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Old family photo of my great grandfather, his two brothers, and one nephew. Taken on or near the family farm in Belgrade, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 03:25 am:

Great photo!!!! I love that tractor.
Family photos like that are priceless!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Cool picture.. Those old school tractors are great. That was probably nice farming equipment at the time i am sure it beats a mule. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

Can you imagine a tractor operator nowadays putting on a necktie before he went to the fields?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

George,

With all the exposed moving parts most of that generation of equipment had it's amazing they all weren't choked to death with those ties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

That traction engine photo posted by Joe is of a Harrison Jumbo steam engine built about 1895 pulling a Gaar Scott grain separator. Likely it was rated as a 12 or 14 horsepower unit. It was built by the Harrison Machine Works in Belleville, Illinois. They had been in business since 1845 making farm equipment and when they started to build steam engines, they wanted a special name. Mr. Lee Harrison received permission from P. T. Barnum to call his new steam engine "Jumbo". after the famous elephant. You can see "Jumbo" cast into the side of the steam chest.
I've posted photos below of two of these units that have survived. The operational one is #1486 rated as 12HP and built in 1895. The one in the museum is a 14HP serial #1550.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe LaMacchia, St. Louis, MO. on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Thanks for the pics & history of the farm machinery, Roger. Belleville, IL. is just a couple of hours from Belgrade, MO. by today's standards. Probably a full day back then!
Not sure if this was owned by my family, or they were just workin' it for someone. They even had the old fashioned names; Standing between the two pieces of equipment is my great grandfather Cassander(Cass), his brother Charlie far left, his other brother Chester sitting, his nephew Clarence standing at the wheel, all McNabb's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration