Motor Internal Infection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Motor Internal Infection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:10 am:

I pulled my motor apart to and see what I would need for a rebuild and I found this is the oil pan

Looks like a band nut, and the nut and bolt that holds the coilbox to the firewall. The only damage on the mag coils appeared to be on one coil by the starter, probably from an attempt to remove the starter with the bendix still attached.

I also sound that number one piston was installed in the opposite direction of the other 3, but all the rod caps were in the same direction. There are no shims in the rods. I haven't pulled the main caps yet but I also found the cam gear nut was loose about a full turn.
The trans drums look good on the surface. Will get further in to it later this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:11 am:

I hate auto correct. It supposed to read inspection

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Infection could work too :-) the oil that is still on the crank looks a little "milky" is it really old or could you have a small coolant leak? or is it an optical illusion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:44 am:

G.R., I was thinking that also. The oil looks to be a bit thick also. I had a 15 engine that had not been run in 40 years and when I pulled the oil plug it took two days for the goo inside to drain!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Good idea to pull it down for a cleaning and a check up :-)
The original rods in an engine didn't have any shims from the factory, only the main bearings had shims. You can file the caps to adjust the rod bearings somewhat before replacement/repouring is necessary (if the babbitt isn't damaged with loose parts or excessive side play). Replacement rods from Ford had shims from start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Don't think you have a problem with those bits beyond a former owner dropping a few items. Surely the carriage bolt/nut is just visiting & I'm sure the band nut is there for the same reason. First it's "Oh s**t" then it's "Oh well". I'm familiar with that goop too. With my '23 I dropped the plug & nothing came out until I poked it a bit. It was a little disheartening seeing that goop but it turned out OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:20 am:

The problem with filing the caps is that if you ever want to install a new crankshaft with standard bearings, there might not be enough space left for the babbit.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

It looks like the oil has water or coolant mixed in with the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

That's Really some Nasty looking oil!!

Don't worry about the extra parts if they didn't do any harm already they won't Now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Norman, don't fret about filing the caps too much. Each adjustment should only take a couple of thou, and you can do a lot of such adjustments before the caps are rendered useless.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration