OT. But sure is car related. Burma Shave signs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT. But sure is car related. Burma Shave signs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

You might have to be pretty old to remember Burma Shave signs along our highways.
I believe I remember seeing them occasionally in the 1950s.
http://objflicks.com/DYRT.htm
Be ready to read fast.
Have your sound on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I saw several of those signs last week on rt. 66 in Arizona.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:06 am:

I'll bet there is a preservation society that keeps famous Rt 66 memorable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Past schoolhouses
take it slow
let the little
shavers
grow.

To kiss
a face
that's like
a cactus
takes more nerve
than it does practice.

Angels
who watch you
when you drive
often retire
at 65.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:02 am:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:08 am:

Fat Nikita's
getting stronger
We can't afford
to wait much longer.
Mad Magazine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:19 am:

The big blue tube
is like Louise,
you get a thrill
from every squeeze.

He lit a match
to check gas tank
that's why they call him
Skinless Frank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:57 am:

Within this vale of toil and sin, your head grows bald but not your chin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:11 am:

He saw the train
and tried to duck it,
Stepped on the gas
And kicked the bucket.

He was right -
- Dead right -
As he sped along,
But he was just as dead
As if he'd been wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:14 am:

He saw the train
And tried to duck it
Stepped on the gas
And kicked the bucket.

He was right -
-Dead right -
As he sped along,
But just as dead
As if he'd been wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 06:28 am:

There is a book available with all 600 messages, it's fun.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Verse-by-the-Side-of-the-Road-The-Story-of-the-Burma -Shave-Signs-NoDust-/262453895692?hash=item3d1b78a20c:g:3J8AAOSwQaJXRej3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Ahhh, the good old days. Those were so neat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Round the corner
Lickety-split
Beautiful car
Wasn't it?
Burma-Shave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:52 am:

She put a bullet
Through his hat
But he's had closer
Shaves than that.

The real challenge on a trip (for the passengers, not the driver) was reading the ones on the other side of the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Here is one from WWII.

Have a great Memorial Day, and remember our Veterans.burma shave 1.jpeg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:43 am:

At ease she said
maneuvers begin
when you get
those whiskers
off your chin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I remember those Burma-Shave signs well. Haven't seen any around this area of Central-Texas for years.
Widened blacktop farm to market roads,new highway construction, re routing and etc. changed a lot of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Burma Shave was originally manufactured in Minneapolis by the Burma-Vita Company.

The building where it was first produced in 1925 still stands at 2019 E. Lake Street. I pass by it on regular basis. It was recently acquired by the Minneapolis Public Schools and most likely will be torn down.

The building in and of itself has a very interesting history. Period and current photos can be see below:

http://www.mnpreservation.org/burma-shave/

https://www.facebook.com/BurmaShaveHistoricVineChurchLegacy/?fref=ts

In 1940 Burma-Vita built a new factory at the opposite side of town at 2318 W. Chestnut Ave -a period photo can be seen below. That building also still exists and is still in use for various endeavors.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largerimage.php?irn=10205315&catirn=10852570&ret urn=

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on May 28, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

The one I most remember:

Do not pass on hill or slope
Unless you have a periscope

:-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Here lies Cross-eyed Jake;
He grabbed her Leg,
Instead of the Brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Thirty days hath September
April June
And the
Speed offender

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

I saw a real one on the recent Kingman tour at Hackberry Store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

kingman1
kingman2
kingman3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Kingman1
Kingman2
Kingman3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Kingmangoogle
Kingmansmaler
Kingmanroad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

I've thought about putting a set up along my fence (hoping they won't get stolen right away, and I thought I would use this set (an adaption of an original set)
IF YOU KNOW
WHO'S SIGNS
THESE ARE
THEN OLD
YOU ARE!
burma-Shave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

So can we still buy Burma shave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

On eBay http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ABurma%20shave

berma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 12:49 am:

Burma Shave. Minneapolis. Cool!
'round here as of late,
Burma style signs are used to remind of milfoil, we hate.

(Message edited by Duey_C on May 30, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

$40 for a shaving soap.. are they kidding?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013ASTVI/ref=mp_s_a_1_5_a_it?qid=1464640696&sr=8 -5&keywords=Burma+shave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Roger:

The original Burma Shave was brushless and came in a glass jars and metal tubes (like toothpaste) - nothing like the bar soap currently sold on Amazon which requires a brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

To make this T related I took this picture on the seat of my 1913 touring.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration