My great-grandfather's car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My great-grandfather's car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B Pierce on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I believe that this may be my great-grandfather's car with his three sons pictured. I am not sure of the date of the photo. My grandfather, the second of three sons and born in 1903, is on the far left. I found a newspaper article from the Brownwood, Texas newspaper dated Sept. of 1916 describing a purchase of a Ford automobile by my great-grandfather as follows:
"Two Ford automobiles were registered at the office of County Clerk Homer Byrd yesterday morning, the new owners being W.D. Pierce of Blanket and F.A. Mavelock of Brownwood. The numbers are 894 and 895. Lively bidding is expected to take place next week when the number 900 is ready for sale, the number being sought for by several prospective automobile owners."

I have a few questions:
1. Does the auto in the picture look like a new Ford auto that would have been purchased in Sept. 1916 or is this an earlier model that his sons were "testing out" before the recorded purchase in the newspaper in 1916?
2. Is this a model T Ford?
3. Are the numbers mentioned in the newspaper article referring to a local (Texas or county) or a national bidding scheme of some sort?
Thanks so much for any comments on this photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:14 am:

What a great family photo ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Best I can tell that would have to be no older than 1917 and not newer than early 23 when the radiator changed to a taller 1.
And yes it is a Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:22 am:

It's not a 1916 Model T because of the radiator and headlights, at the very least. Given the date of the newspaper, it's probably a new 1917 Model T, which changed quite a bit from the true 1916 style. By then, the model year change was generally in August. This must have been one of the first 1917's produced, if the newspaper article appeared in September of 1917, only one month after the change-over in Ford factories.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Mack beat me by a couple minutes while I was typing. Too many words on my part. :-)
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 09:24 am:

OOPS! Should read: "If the article appeared in September of 1916...", not 1917.
M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:04 am:

The car in the picture certainly looks exactly like a Ford that you could purchase at any Ford dealer in August 1916. This would have been called a 1917, it was the first model year to offer the black radiator, and new, more modern looking rounded front fender styling.

The photo looks like it was taken after the car was 4 - 5 years old. So I would date the photo around 1920- 21, and the car as a 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B Pierce on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Thanks everyone for the very nice and informative comments. I really appreciate the help with this.

I'll label it in my files as my great-grandfather's 1917 Model T, purchased Sept. 1916.

I was thrilled to find this picture in an old box at my parent's house. Knowing nothing about Model T details I'm happy to have found this forum for help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Really great pic. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 11:52 am:

The boy on the left, born in 1903, appears to be 14 or 15 years old, so that would date the picture to 1917 or 1918.

The sticker on the windshield appears to say "Buy War Bonds". Since America entered the Great War on April 6, 1917 (war ended on November 11, 1918) and did not immediately get on a war footing, I would say the photo was taken in the spring of 1918. Brownwood Texas is located in the geographic center of Texas and probably gets pretty cold in the winter and they don't look too cold. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

The wishbone is on top of the axle and was moved below the axle for the early 19 cars, probably identifying this as a 1917-1918 Model T. You might be able to further identify it by the location of the horn button if you can see it in the original photo. 1917 models had a horn button on top of the steering column and in early 1918 it was changed to the left side (sitting in the car) of the column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

The horn button can be seen on top of the steering column.

Also, the car is a touring - I can see part of the back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I agree that it looks like a 1917 to 19 touring but this picture is not of a new car, look at that radiator and the paint damage on the headlights. With the WW1 bonds sticker it was probably taken in 1918 or maybe 1919. :-)

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on May 28, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration