Need help ID Warford Transmission.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need help ID Warford Transmission.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Happy Memorial Day. Hope yours went as well as it did for me and my 42 jeep. This weekend is what it is all about.
But still some time to do T stuff.
I got this Warford with a speedster donor project car that will be restocreated into a WWI light patrol car. I will not use it in the project and I don't know if this is of any value to a fellow T'r, or if it's a boat anchor.
Cast iron, I believe. Truck Warford?
In the car, the engine turned over without the tires turning, so I believe it is in neutral. I can't get the lever to engage a gear, but I don't know if it has to be in a running car with the transmission in gear for the Warford to engage, so I do not know if this Warford is functional or not.

If I were to make it available to a fellow forum member, I would want to describe it as best I can, so any help with the ID and approx. value is greatly appreciated.

Also, the rear end off this sppeedster was shortened to accomodate the length of the Warford and match into the engine in it's original position. Is this rear end worth anything since it is shortened? Should I offer them as a set?
Keep the rear end for parts and the Warford as a wheel chock?

I'll hang up, pour two fingers, and listen. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Warfords came in a variety of combinations - iron and aluminum cases as well as 3 speed (under, direct & over) or 2 speed which could be either under and direct or direct and over. All are generally desirable if in decent condition. A photo or two with the top cover off would help folks for general condition as well as whether it is a 2 or 3 speed unit. For a local buyer the shortened drive shaft would be nice to come along with the transmission.

Value depending on which version and general condition is probably in the $50 to $500 range here in the Northwest, not sure about GA values. Not a wheel chock in any case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

The one pictured is the later cast iron three speed Warford.
They had a u-joint in the front and required a mount to hold the gearbox in position.
Some removed the front universal joint and just bolted it up directally the the T trans like the earlier aluminum caed Warford.
The cast iron one still need support whereas the aluminum one just hung on the back of the T rans not requiring additional support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Yes, this one has a u joint in the rear and mounted directly to the hogshead in the donor car application with a homemade crossmember to support the weight of the unit.

So a three speed Warford is kinda nice to hear, I suppose. But I still can't move the shift lever to what feels like a gear. It wwiggles slightly, so is free, but not engaging anything. Is it supposed to when not installed on a running engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

The lever may be loose, but a little rust in the right/wrong spot can lock up the shifting-fork sliding-rods. They are what actually move the gears for shifting. Take the top cover off and start cleaning it. Usually not too difficult to free them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

From the photo, the transmission has a U-joint in the FRONT...as it should. It is not mounted *directly to the hogshead*..but has the extension and U-joint. The home-made support cross member seems to work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration